none
Service pack upgrade from sp1 to sp3 in Exchnge 2010

Question

• Keep getting this error...

A reboot from a previous installation is pending. Please restart the system and rerun setup.

What is up with that and is there a work around?

Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:04 PM

All replies

• Delete this key from the registry if it exists and try again

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\PendingFileRenameOperations

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Thank you, did that and the upgrade started.  But, I am really screwed now.  The upgrade failed at the Hub Transport and cancelled the rest of the upgrade.  Services start but I can't get into the Exchange server at all.

SES

Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:47 PM
  • This has got to be the toughest service pack install I've ever had to do.  Ran the install a second time and made it through.  At least I'll still have a job tomorrow.  Gotta wash my shorts though.  Did NOT like this one.  Thanks.

SES

Monday, July 22, 2013 12:32 AM
  • Try this:

http://www.expta.com/2010/06/exchange-setup-repeatedly-says-restart.html

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:05 AM
  • That was the trick... but, that upgrade is scary.  Business depends on email and if its down I'm out of work.  Got it done.  Thanks for responding.

SES

Monday, July 22, 2013 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please post the Hub update failed message when you update Exchange 2010 sp1 to sp3?And please check if the application log has some errors.

Thanks,
    Amy

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Unfortunately all I got from the wizard wsa that it had failed... by the time I regained my senses I had it reboot and tried again successfully.  But I reviewed the log an dthis is what it tells me... looks like for some reason it couldn't talk to the DC...

Exchange Server component Hub Transport Role failed. 
    Error: Error:
    The following error was generated when "$error.Clear(); 
              Set-WERRegistryMarkers;
            " was run: "Provisioning layer initialization failed: 'Failed to reconnect to Active Directory server MCMAD01.mcmorgan.com. Make sure the server is available, and that you have used the correct credentials.'".

Provisioning layer initialization failed: 'Failed to reconnect to Active Directory server MCMAD01.mcmorgan.com. Make sure the server is available, and that you have used the correct credentials.'

Failed to reconnect to Active Directory server MCMAD01.mcmorgan.com. Make sure the server is available, and that you have used the correct credentials.

Active Directory server MCMAD01.mcmorgan.com is not available. Please retry at a later time.

SES

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:53 AM
  • Hi,

Please verify whether a Microsoft System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) 2007 agent is running on the server which is running on Exchange Server 2010 SP1.

If so, put the server that is running Exchange Server in Maintenance Mode in SCOM. Then try to install Exchange Server 2010 SP3 again.

And I find a related KB for your reference.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2713696

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
    Amy

Monday, July 22, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Thank you.  But I don't see the SCOM agent running.  After the update, my users are now reporting that they bounce from connected to disconnected and back again.

SES

Monday, July 22, 2013 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for delayed response.

Please take your time to collect the above Application Event log and send them to me at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
    Amy

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:30 AM
  • Amy,

Thanks for following this... how do I send you the log?  Also how much of the log do you want?  The install portion of it or do you want it all the way to where it is up and running and now giving my users messages of connect/disconnect? (meaning to date)

SES

Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

You just need to post the log when the users are reporting that they bounce from connected to disconnected.

Best regards,
    Amy

Friday, July 26, 2013 6:43 AM