none
Printing from a Dos Program which uses LPT1 running a Virtual XP under Windows 7 Professional.

Question

• The Virtual XP uses the printer assigned to Windows 7 Professional by using Microsoft Terminal Services so you see a TS... pointing the the printer in Windows 7.

It works fine in the Virtual XP system.

When you open the DOS application to print you must first do a Net Use lpt1:  \\Virtual XP computer name\Shared name you assigned to the printer you want to use /persisent:yes

This works well when you are running in a regular XP machine, but will not work from the Virtual XP machine running under Windows & Professional.

I believe it has to do with the fact that the Virtual XP machine is connecting to the Windows 7 printer that is connected via a Net Use command for the TSclient  prn12 pointing to the Windows 7 HP network printer.

Has anyone encountered this situation and if so is there a way to correct it.

The error message I get in the DOS application says the printer is offline or not connected.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:36 PM

Answers

• Have you tried to share the printer over the network in the Windows 7 environment - and then do a net use from inside the virtual machine (rather than using the terminal services printer redirection)? Note that for this to work you will need to be using a direct network connection on the virtual machine - and not shared networking.

Cheers,
    Benjamin Armstrong
    ============================
    Windows Virtualization
    Senior Lead Program Manager

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:30 AM

All replies

• Have you tried to share the printer over the network in the Windows 7 environment - and then do a net use from inside the virtual machine (rather than using the terminal services printer redirection)? Note that for this to work you will need to be using a direct network connection on the virtual machine - and not shared networking.

Cheers,
    Benjamin Armstrong
    ============================
    Windows Virtualization
    Senior Lead Program Manager

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:30 AM
  • XP Mode does not have access to parallel ports so the DOS command to use LPT1 within XP Mode will fail.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 6:20 AM
  • by sharing the printer and using the net use command I hit print in the dos program and it shows printing and then the file shows up in Windows 7 Print Queue but doesn't print it just sits there.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:26 PM
  • I'm playing around similar problem two weeks already. I have to turn my DOS program to print from XP Mode. Recommended "net use lpt1 \\tsclient\..." trick is good but useless for me.

I put this command, operation system reported that LPT1 is redirected, my DOS application created reports and silence .... Printer prints nothing at all in most cases but sometime eject blank paper sheets.

I googled and found claims the source of my problem is in my printer which is not a DOS-compatible and cannot print plain text.

Can anyone suggest what I should to do? 

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:56 PM