none
Cluster Patching Current Recommendations?

Answers

• Hi Josh,

KB2545685 is a WFC KB that lists recommended hotfixes for Windows Failover Clusters.  My blog post was referring to one specific fix that we recommend for DAGs, that is listed in that KB.  That hotfix is 2550886 A transient communication failure causes a Windows Server 2008 R2 failover cluster to stop working, which also includes another hotfix listed in that KB, as well (2552040).

The remainder of the hotfixes listed in the KB generally don't apply to DAGs because they are fixes related to cluster-managed storage, which DAGs do not use.  Of course, it won't harm a DAG to have the additional hotfixes installed, but there's no reason to since you don't experience the referenced issues in a DAG.

That said, if you find yourself experiencing the issue referenced in 2524478 The network location profile changes from "Domain" to "Public" in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2, then I would recommend you apply that hotfix, as well.

Again, though, my blog post was intended to highlight one specific fix that we (the Exchange Team) wanted all DAG customers to apply right away.  It was not intended to be a complete list of hotfixes for clusters or for DAGs.

Hope this helps.

-Scott

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Josh,

KB2545685 is a WFC KB that lists recommended hotfixes for Windows Failover Clusters.  My blog post was referring to one specific fix that we recommend for DAGs, that is listed in that KB.  That hotfix is 2550886 A transient communication failure causes a Windows Server 2008 R2 failover cluster to stop working, which also includes another hotfix listed in that KB, as well (2552040).

The remainder of the hotfixes listed in the KB generally don't apply to DAGs because they are fixes related to cluster-managed storage, which DAGs do not use.  Of course, it won't harm a DAG to have the additional hotfixes installed, but there's no reason to since you don't experience the referenced issues in a DAG.

That said, if you find yourself experiencing the issue referenced in 2524478 The network location profile changes from "Domain" to "Public" in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2, then I would recommend you apply that hotfix, as well.

Again, though, my blog post was intended to highlight one specific fix that we (the Exchange Team) wanted all DAG customers to apply right away.  It was not intended to be a complete list of hotfixes for clusters or for DAGs.

Hope this helps.

-Scott

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:11 AM
  • Makes sense, thanks scott.

Is this the best and up to date for hotfix recommendations for exchange?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691354.aspx 

I alway test in lab but 20% unknown factor that is always the worry :)

Josh

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:24 AM