Server Manager: Under Manageability - Online- Data retrieval failures occurred

Question

• Please see the detailed info below:

Since the upgrade Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2 a couple of days ago, I started receiving the following:

Server Manager:  Under Manageability - Online- Data retrieval failures occurred

I was able to drill down a bit more by clicking notifications at the top right of server manager and under task details this is the detailed message received:

(Computer Name):  Configuration refresh message:  The system cannot access one or more event logs because of insufficient rights, file corruption, or other reasons.  For more information, see the Operation channel in the ServerManager-ManagementProvider error log on the target server.

When I go to the Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, ServerManager-ManagementProvider, Operational in the Event Log, These are some of the alerts I am receiving:

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/CertificateServices:$reports$\$latestreport$\Discovery.xml:$creationtime$. error: The system cannot find the file specified., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/CertificateServices:$reports$\*\Result.xml:/ResultDatabase/Result. error: A device attached to the system is not functioning., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/CertificateServices:$reports$\*\Result.xml:/ResultDatabase/Result. error: A device attached to the system is not functioning., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/MSMQ:$reports$\*\Result.xml:/ResultDatabase/Result. error: A device attached to the system is not functioning., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/MSMQ:$reports$\*\Result.xml:/ResultDatabase/Result. error: A device attached to the system is not functioning., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/WebServer:$reports$\*\Result.xml:/ResultDatabase/Result. error: A device attached to the system is not functioning., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

Failed to query the results of bpa xpath: Microsoft/Windows/FileServices:$reports$\$latestreport$\Discovery.xml:$creationtime$. error: The system cannot find the file specified., last error: The system cannot find the path specified..

I am signed on as the administrator of the domain.  This only happened after the upgrade to 2012 RTM R2.  This message is in regards to the local server, not remote servers in the domain as I have read in other posts. 

The only other issue I had during the upgrade was with Exchange 2013 database not mounting (The server with the issue is an Exchange VM).  When upgrading, the system did not perform a clean shutdown.  Maybe the install should gracefully shut down Exchange Services prior to any upgrades on Server OS's?  There was a chance that my database was corrupted, but after hours of troubleshooting, I was able to repair database any move the logs to another directory and finally the database mounted and all is good now.  I know the Exchange info is probably for another forum, but incase any of this is related to the current problem, I felt I should state it up front.

I appreciate any assistance from Microsoft or from anyone who has any ideas as to what I should be looking for to resolve.

Thanks,

Ray

• Edited by Ray Wooge Friday, September 13, 2013 12:50 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2013 12:46 PM

Answers

• I had the same issues in the ServerManager-ManagementProvider logs but I had an additional error earlier in the log (around the same time frame)...

Generic failure querying the localized name for channel: Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Looking at the log in Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic it cant open the log file.  Note: This was listed exactly as typed even though it should have been Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, DxpTaskRingtone, Analytic.  I looked for the log file and sure enough it was not there.  I looked at the registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic]
    "ChannelAccess"="O:BAG:SYD:(A;;0xf0007;;;SY)(A;;0x7;;;BA)(A;;0x3;;;BO)(A;;0x5;;;SO)(A;;0x1;;;IU)(A;;0x3;;;SU)(A;;0x1;;;S-1-5-3)(A;;0x2;;;S-1-5-33)(A;;0x1;;;S-1-5-32-573)"
    "Enabled"=dword:00000000
    "Isolation"=dword:00000001
    "OwningPublisher"="{3df0c2c1-5a04-4966-9790-df6ef0ccde9c}"
    "Type"=dword:00000002

I compared this to other entries and didn't see any corruption.  Looking at the Isolation and Type of other entries this should not even show up in the event log.  I edited the name of the key and sure enough it disappeared from the event log.  I changed the name back and it was still gone.  I refreshed my Server Manager and still saw red.  Just for shits and giggles I backed up the key and deleted it.  With the key gone the server manager refreshes without error and all of my manageability icons are green. 

Not sure if this helps anyone else but this was my fix.  I am not sure what deleting this key is going to do down the road but apparently the event has something to do with VOIP ringtones so I'm not worried.

• Edited by T_nelson Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ray Wooge Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:26 PM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:53 AM

All replies

• Exact same thing here.    2- 2012 Datacenter servers upgraded to R2.   One a DC, the other a member server.  The Application and System logs on both servers look OK.   I did some searching around and see this is not anything new.   People upgrading from Server 2008 to 2012 reported similar errors - however, I could not find any fixes.

My logon account is a member of the Domain Admins when I login to both boxes. 

I am able to successfully run the BPA on both servers, for every role installed - DNS, DHCP, Hyper-V, Local Server, etc.

I am remotely accessing both servers using Remote Desktop Connection and/or RDCMan from a Windows 8 Enterprise computer.

Sunday, September 15, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Ever since the Windows update I have not been able to access Windows Media Player. Also, ppts. that were created with Office 2010 will not open on my computer, even though they would before.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 12:17 AM
  • I upgraded my 2 DC's last night from Server 2012 (Datacenter) to Server2012R2 (Datacenter) and on of the 2 servers have the same error. Server Manager:  Under Manageability - Online- Data retrieval failures occurred.  Not sure what the issue is, but I hope an answer comes soon on this thread.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 1:24 PM
  • It sounds like your issue is slightly different as you said your logs are OK.  From what I can tell, the only issue I am having is view the logs described in my original post.  Everything seems to be working great otherwise, so I am patiently waiting to hear from either Microsoft or someone else who has overcome the issue that I am experiencing.  Suggestions are always welcome!

Ray

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Monica, I am not sure how your post is remotely related to this thread?  Did you mean to post here?

Ray

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:19 PM
  • CJ, Have you tried browsing to the Event Viewer logs mentioned in my original post?  It sounds like we are having similar issues, but not the exact same.  Please let me know when you have a moment.

Ray

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:20 PM
  • Hi all,

I noticed that there is an article related to Server Manager Troubleshooting. Please have a look on it:

Windows Server 2012 - Server Manager Troubleshooting Guide, Part III: Common Events and Errors in Server Manager

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13445.windows-server-2012-server-manager-troubleshooting-guide-part-iii-common-events-and-errors-in-server-manager.aspx

Specifically it mentioned the following sentence:

The Server Manager provider cannot access event logs because the user does not have adequate access rights. This is a common error for standard (non-administrative) users of Server Manager, because by default, they do not have access rights to get event data from managed servers. To allow standard users to access event logs on a server, run the Enable-ServerManagerStandardUserRemoting cmdlet on the target server. For more information about how to use this cmdlet, see Enable-ServerManagerStandardUserRemoting This link is external to TechNet Wiki. It will open in a new window. in the Windows PowerShell cmdlet Help topics.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Thanks for the response Shaon.  I actually did notice that link while searching for a solution.  I am logged on as the domain administrator and would rather not allow standard users remote access to the logs.  Do you know the physical path to the event viewer log files (C:\Windows\**)?  Maybe the permissions for those files or directory were corrupted during the upgrade? 

Please let me know.

Ray

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:25 PM
  • I too am logging in as a Domain Admin.   It is not a permissions issue unless something in the upgrade changed access permissions.   I also went through that rather long MS Wiki entry and could not find any relevant information to this particular issue.    I think this is a ghost issue - that is, it is not really a problem.   It is not affecting the way the servers function - at least for me.   R2 messed something up, we just need to know what.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:08 AM
  • I think this issue only occurs for Windows 2008 R2 servers configured with failover cluster role. At least that's the case in our environment.

You know you're an engineer when you have no life and can prove it mathematically

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Here are additional warnings I am getting in the ServerManager-Management Provider:

Failure opening metadata of the owning provider for channel: Microsoft-Windows-SPB-HIDI2C/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Failure opening metadata of the owning provider for channel: Microsoft-Windows-IME-SCTIP/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Failure opening metadata of the owning provider for channel: Microsoft-Windows-IME-SCTIP/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Failure opening metadata of the owning provider for channel: Microsoft-Windows-IME-Roaming/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Generic failure querying the localized name for channel: Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Is there a way to browse the files system for event viewer logs to confirm if the files are present or if it is in fact a permissions issue?  When I try and browse to the items in the event viewer in my original post, they items mentioned don't appear to be present.  For instance, "Microsoft/Windows/WebServer" Does not exist.

Ideas anyone?

Ray

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 10:36 PM
  • No.   If you read the posts, it is happening on Win2012 servers upgraded to 2012 R2.   My 2012 servers were clean installs.  Never had 2008.  However, I have read old posts where this was seen when upgrading from 2008 to 2012.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 2:31 AM
  • I had the same issues in the ServerManager-ManagementProvider logs but I had an additional error earlier in the log (around the same time frame)...

Looking at the log in Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic it cant open the log file.  Note: This was listed exactly as typed even though it should have been Applications and Services Logs, Microsoft, Windows, DxpTaskRingtone, Analytic.  I looked for the log file and sure enough it was not there.  I looked at the registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic]
    "ChannelAccess"="O:BAG:SYD:(A;;0xf0007;;;SY)(A;;0x7;;;BA)(A;;0x3;;;BO)(A;;0x5;;;SO)(A;;0x1;;;IU)(A;;0x3;;;SU)(A;;0x1;;;S-1-5-3)(A;;0x2;;;S-1-5-33)(A;;0x1;;;S-1-5-32-573)"

I compared this to other entries and didn't see any corruption.  Looking at the Isolation and Type of other entries this should not even show up in the event log.  I edited the name of the key and sure enough it disappeared from the event log.  I changed the name back and it was still gone.  I refreshed my Server Manager and still saw red.  Just for shits and giggles I backed up the key and deleted it.  With the key gone the server manager refreshes without error and all of my manageability icons are green. 

Not sure if this helps anyone else but this was my fix.  I am not sure what deleting this key is going to do down the road but apparently the event has something to do with VOIP ringtones so I'm not worried.

• Edited by T_nelson Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ray Wooge Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:26 PM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 5:53 AM
  • C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs is where the logs are stored.

It looks like you have the same issue I had...

Note: The metadata errors don't seem to be a problem with the Manageability being red.  I left those registry entries alone and I still get the event log errors but Manageability is green.
    • Edited by T_nelson Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:02 AM
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 6:00 AM
  • T_nelson,

You hit it spot on.  I had the exact same errors in my log files except there were additional that I also removed (items in bold) after I backed up the registry entries:

Failure opening metadata of the owning provider for channel: Microsoft-Windows-IME-Roaming/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Failure opening metadata of the owning provider for channel: Microsoft-Windows-IME-SCDICCOMPILER/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Failure opening metadata of the owning provider for channel: Microsoft-Windows-SPB-HIDI2C/Analytic [hResult = Function failed during execution., hLastResult = The system cannot find the file specified.].

Did a refresh and Server Manager - Online Data Retrieval Error has gone away.  Nice work!

My next question is to Microsoft:

1.) Why did this happen during the upgrade to Windows 2012 R2?

2.) Does this impact our systems in any way by removing these registry entries?

Thanks,

Ray

Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:25 PM
  • FYI to ALL:

This server where I had this issue was dedicated as an Exchange Server.  After removing these registry entries my Exchange Database will no longer stay mounted.  I restored the registry entries and same issue - DB won't mount.  When I initially did the upgrade on 9/11/13, I had this same issue.  After checking the state of the DB, it said it was in Dirty Shutdown mode.  I ended up having to do a database repair and defrag to get the DB back online and stay mounted.

In the process of doing this now, but in case anyone else runs into the issue and applies the fix above.  Hopefully Microsoft will address this with an update of some sort.

P.S. I kept all Metadata entries in the registry as they were not impacting the Server Manager - Online Data Retrieval Error.  I only remove the Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic - to be on the safe side.

Thanks,

Ray

Saturday, September 28, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Exchange Database back in clean shutdown state and Server Manager - Online Data Retrieval Error is gone.  Mission Success.  Thank you T_nelson!  I hope this helps others and it would be awesome if MSFT can address.

Ray

Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:15 PM
  • Excellent - The warning messages in the ServerManager-ManagementProvider log on both my 2012 R2 servers have changed from the original messages to the same ones T_nelson has/had.    I located these registry entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels on both servers and deleted them (after exporting a copy). 

Server Manager is all green now on both servers.   Will keep an eye open for any strangeness after deleting the reg keys.

Thanks All for this information !   BIG help for my 2 servers.

Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:26 PM

Your fix sure helped me, thank you! Well done indeed!

Brian

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 9:52 PM
  • Awesome solution!  How do you guys find such a needle in the haystack POS like that?

By the way, I'd like to confirm a few things

1) this only occurred with upgrade from 2012 to 2012 R2

2) a clean install of 2012 R2 DID NOT have this problem

3) the offending registry key DID NOT EXIST in the clean install

4) the offending registry key DID exist in the upgrade install.  I had 6 instances, so it was repeatable and absolutely systematic and directly a result of the upgrade process.  Also, the instances included a DC, cert, DFS servers, bare metal and Hyper-V machines, so a variety of roles and platforms.

5) the deletion of the registry key indeed worked.

6) after the fix, the server reports performance counter need to be turned on, after that all is good.

Thanks for the solution!

> Kamal

• Edited by grungegoth Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:41 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Not sure why this worked, But thank you for the tip. Solved my problem!
    Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Thank you T_nelson. Not sure how you came about this fix but it worked.

I upgraded six servers from 2012 to 2012 R2 and each one of them had this issue. Seems like MS should release some kind of fix for this.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 11:24 PM