none
Migrating from Server 2008 to 2012 in VM, does it require a new hostname?

Question

• Hi, at my work we are currently being asked to migrate our file servers and DB servers. Unfortunately over the years, we have developped many small applications internally within our department and many users are dependant on theses applications. our servers have specific hostnames and users point to shares using those hostnames. These servers are in VMware, Windows server 2008 R2 32bit. The new servers are Windows server 2012 64bit.

The problem is that our IT department is telling us that we need to migrate our servers because the license is expiring and a bunch of other reasons. They told us that in order to migrate, we need to have new hostnames and we cannot preserve our original hotnames.

I asked them if it was possible to move our data over to the new server (which has a different hostname) then shut down the old server and then rename the new server to our old hostname and then change the DNS server entry. They told us this may cause issues and that it was not normal practice.

I am afraid that changing hostnames will be months of work for us versus a couple of days of work if we preserve our hostname. Please let me know what is common practice in this situation.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:49 PM

Answers

• If there indeed are many applications depended on the hostnames and you are not willing to spend time editing them, the best approach in this case would be creating DNS aliases (CNAME records) for the old names and point them to the new servers.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Hello,

"Windows server 2008 R2 32bit." This OS version doesn't exist, either it is Windows server 2008 R2 and that way already is 64bit or it is Windows server 2008 which exists in 32 and 64 bit version and maybe has SP2 installed?

So first built a lab and TEST all self created applications that they run on Windows server 2012. Then in a LAB TEST the upgrade from the server with all applications and databases running.

Especially for the databases you should get in contact with the DB software vendor if an in-place upgrade is supported from the Server OS.

BTW: Programming applications to use fixed server names or ip addresses is really bad design and should be avoided for future plans.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, July 05, 2013 6:56 AM

All replies

• If there indeed are many applications depended on the hostnames and you are not willing to spend time editing them, the best approach in this case would be creating DNS aliases (CNAME records) for the old names and point them to the new servers.
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Hello,

"Windows server 2008 R2 32bit." This OS version doesn't exist, either it is Windows server 2008 R2 and that way already is 64bit or it is Windows server 2008 which exists in 32 and 64 bit version and maybe has SP2 installed?

So first built a lab and TEST all self created applications that they run on Windows server 2012. Then in a LAB TEST the upgrade from the server with all applications and databases running.

Especially for the databases you should get in contact with the DB software vendor if an in-place upgrade is supported from the Server OS.

BTW: Programming applications to use fixed server names or ip addresses is really bad design and should be avoided for future plans.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, July 05, 2013 6:56 AM