none
computer crash

Question

• my cpu crashed as a result of a blue screen error code!  i had windows vista home premium originally which i upgraded to windows 7 home premium.  will i be able to reinstall windows 7 home premium back on this cpu from only the upgrade disk??  i have no boot screen at all!!  nothing but darkness!!
    Friday, July 12, 2013 12:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Since the media is upgrade disk, I believe you need to install Windows vista first. Then you can upgrade to Win 7 with upgrade CD. For blue screen error, it can be hardware or software issue. You may want to run hardware diagnostic from boot setup or from CD that come with PC.

Hope this help!

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:34 AM
  • You can't install win 7 directly from the upgrade disk. I think you need to perform clean installation of WIN 7...http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

Sai Siva Kumar

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:46 AM
  • i do have a copy of a windows 7 home premium disk that is installed on another computer!  will i be able to use that disk to do a clean install without having to install vista again!!  and will i be able to use the key on my upgrade disk to validate window 7??  maybe i am just looking for a shortcut!!  but this would save me some time!  as for running  a diagnostic  i can't get a boot screen at all.  i do believe it may be my video card!!  but need to reform to find out!!

Friday, July 12, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

Since you product key is an upgrade version, you have to install Vista first and then upgrade to Windows 7. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 15, 2013 7:52 AM