none
Error in "Monitor BizTalk Server" job: Biztalk 2010

Question

• Hello,

I've just made a fresh intallation of BizTalk 2010 on a new server Windows 2008 R2.  I executed "BizTalk Server Best Practices Analyzer V1.2" with no critical errors, but I get the following error when the job "Monitor BizTalk Server (BizTalkMgmtDb)" is executed:

2 Messages with refcount less than 0 in <DatabaseServer>.BizTalkMsgBoxDb [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000).  The step failed.

There in not any BizTalk application yet, so that no messages have been processed so far.  Does anybody else suffer the same issue?

Thanks in advance,

Felipe.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:13 PM

Answers

• Hello ShaheerA,

I'm completely sure I didn't sent any message through the messagebox, because the fist thing I did after installing BizTalk 2010 was execute the  "BizTalk Server Best Practices Analyzer V1.2" (with no critical errors), and after that the job "Monitor BizTalk Server (BizTalkMgmtDb)". I had exactly the same issue among several fresh BizTalk 2010 installations (developers server).

I used the BizTalk Terminated Tool, executing the option “Repair Refcounts for All Messages”, and now the problem is solved. All the message was in the table MessageRefCountLogTotals, with snRefCount=-1.

Thank you very much for your help, both the blog and the tool are great!!,

Felipe.

Friday, February 11, 2011 11:05 AM
  • Not sure why you're seeing negative refcount in a brand new environment.  Are you 100% sure no-one has actually sent data through this messagebox? 

The caching subservice uses msgbox routing for its own work and all running host instances load the caching subservice - but I've never seen negative refcount related caching subservice message refs.

As far as resolving the issue, I've updated my BizTalk Terminator/MBV blog to talk about what to do for each of the issues that the Monitor BizTalk Server job looks for:

Using BizTalk Terminator to resolve issues identified by BizTalk MsgBoxViewer and the BizTalk 2010 Monitor BizTalk Server Job:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/biztalkcpr/archive/2009/05/06/using-biztalk-terminator-to-resolve-issues-identified-by-biztalk-msgboxviewer.aspx

• Marked as answer by Felipe Senso Friday, February 11, 2011 11:04 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Felipe,

Have you created more hosts (i.e. one for receiving, sending, processing, and so on). If so there is a post on connect describing similar issue. Also review this document (page 131 You must have one of the host instances running otherwise the ‘Monitor BizTalk Server’ job will fail)

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MVP & MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:35 PM
  • Hi Steef,

First of all, thanks for your quick answer.

I have not created more host, just the default ones. First, I want to check that everything work fine, and after that I will create the recomended host (receiving, sending, processing, and so on).

I checked in the Event Viewer, services console, and Biztalk Administrator console that the BizTalk service (BizTalkServerApplication) is up and running. However, I always got the same error while executing the job "Monitor BizTalk Server (BizTalkMgmtDb)".

• The first step "Check issues in all MessageBoxes and DTA" executes successfully.
    • The second step "Generate error string in case of any issue" raises the following error: 2 Messages with refcount less than 0 in <ServerName>.BizTalkMsgBoxDb [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000).  The step failed

The only documentation I can find about this error message is http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa577454(BTS.70).aspx, but there is not any solution for each type of error. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Felipe.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:44 PM
  • hi,

Have the same problem

Thanks

Tal

Sunday, January 02, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Hi Felipe,

Did you use the Group Hub page to investigate what kind of messages they are?

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalk: History of one project architecture
    Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Hi Leonid,

In the BizTalk Group Hub there is not any message in the "Work in process" or "Suspended Item". However the job still failes, and the number of wrong messages now have increased:

19 Messages with refcount less than 0 in <ServerName>..BizTalkMsgBoxDb [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000).  The step failed.

I've made several fresh installations of BizTalk 2010 on different operating system (Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7), and I always get the same error. Any idea would be really appreciated?

Thanks,

Felipe.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Not sure why you're seeing negative refcount in a brand new environment.  Are you 100% sure no-one has actually sent data through this messagebox? 

The caching subservice uses msgbox routing for its own work and all running host instances load the caching subservice - but I've never seen negative refcount related caching subservice message refs.

As far as resolving the issue, I've updated my BizTalk Terminator/MBV blog to talk about what to do for each of the issues that the Monitor BizTalk Server job looks for:

Using BizTalk Terminator to resolve issues identified by BizTalk MsgBoxViewer and the BizTalk 2010 Monitor BizTalk Server Job:  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/biztalkcpr/archive/2009/05/06/using-biztalk-terminator-to-resolve-issues-identified-by-biztalk-msgboxviewer.aspx

• Marked as answer by Felipe Senso Friday, February 11, 2011 11:04 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:58 PM
  • Hello ShaheerA,

I'm completely sure I didn't sent any message through the messagebox, because the fist thing I did after installing BizTalk 2010 was execute the  "BizTalk Server Best Practices Analyzer V1.2" (with no critical errors), and after that the job "Monitor BizTalk Server (BizTalkMgmtDb)". I had exactly the same issue among several fresh BizTalk 2010 installations (developers server).

I used the BizTalk Terminated Tool, executing the option “Repair Refcounts for All Messages”, and now the problem is solved. All the message was in the table MessageRefCountLogTotals, with snRefCount=-1.

Thank you very much for your help, both the blog and the tool are great!!,

Felipe.

Friday, February 11, 2011 11:05 AM
  • I have the same problem on a Production Biztalk server...    What happens to my production messages when the server is in this condition is it bad?

1 Messages with refcount less than 0

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Hi Felipe,

You Can check below Links

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c2cbcd37-dc0c-4a9e-823d-cb1b404f70fd/sql-server-job-failing-weekly-schedule-fails-for-biztalkmgmtdb?forum=biztalkgeneral

As been suggested by Tord

1. Stop All hosts and IIS
    2. Open SQL Management Studio and open the table "dbo.adm_BackupSettings" in the BizTalkMgmtDb database 
    3. Right click and choose edit top 200 rows
    4. Update the column where it says "ForceFull" and set this to "True"
    5. Now open the SQL Agent jobs and right click the backup job and tell it to start at step 1.
    6. When the job finishes (successfully) stop the SQL Agent Service
    7. Run the terminator tool and fix the reference related problems
    8. When this is fixed, start the SQL Agent Service, then start the BizTalk hosts
    9. You're done

Thanks

Abhishek

• Edited by Abhishek0127 Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:52 PM Edit
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:55 PM