none
How to verify Use License Expiration and Content Expiration

Question

• Hi all,

I set Use License Expiration and Content Expiration for Policy Template. Then, I apply that Policy Template on a document. So, how can I verify Use License Expiration and Content Expiration are working right through Office UI?

Thank you for any information.

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

unless you are the owner or you have full permissions on the document you will see any of those information. If you are the document owner you can see at least the content expiration but you cannot see the expiration of the use licens.

Regards,

Lutz

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Hi.

For this, You have to be aware that Licenses can be cached on specific machine, for users reading docs protected by someone else, they can see doc expriation iun the view permission option, for caching you cannot see such info only Template admin can.

Cheers.

Cristian Mora (Synergy Advisors)

www.synergyadvisors.biz

• Proposed as answer by Cristian Mora Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Hi Lutz,

I find out about AD RMS features: Content Expiration and Use-License Expiration. They are 2 settings when we create Policy Template on AD RMS Server.

Content Expiration: “specify a specific date on which the content (the document/the file) expires. That means the use license will expire on the date specified and the user won’t be able to acquire another use license” (this info from this book). Summary, the content cannot be used after specific date. We can verify through message when open encrypted file at content expires

Use-License Expiration: this is expiration of cached Use-License. When Use-License expires, for consuming document (open document) client connect to AD RMS Server to request new Use-License.

We can verify:

1. Through message on Office. This message only appears when UL expires (except for case open encrypt file at first time)
    2. I open encrypted file without connection to AD RMS Server. If UL not expires, we can open encrypted file without connection to AD RMS Server. If UL expires, we cannot open file until client connect to AD RMS Server

Please help me confirm above info what I found out is right or not.

Thanks and Regards,
    Vu Le

• Edited by Vu Le Anh Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:39 AM
    Thursday, November 07, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Hi Vu Le,

your observation is correct. A end user cannot see the information about the exact content expiration date or when s/he will be required to renew the use license.

Thank you for sharing your findings with the community!

Have a great day,

Lutz

Thursday, November 07, 2013 11:25 PM