none
Autologon without the need to restart. Is it possible?

Question

• I wrote an auto-logon VBscript which modifies the registry (or uses autlogon.exe from  MS/ sysinternals). The script works perfectly. The auto-logon script starts during the pc boot process and is activated (to set auto logon) only in specific situation when specific conditions are met. So far so good.
    My problem is that the auto-logon only works if/ when I reboot the computer (Windows 7 prof x64). After the script is executed the pc must reboot and auto-logon works great...
    My question is: Can I run my script during the boot process (before the logon process) and directly auto-logon without a reboot? Is that possible? And how?
    I tried all options I could find on the net but all of them require a reboot after modifying the registry. Is there single service or something I could start or force to restart that will cause the auto logon to happen without a reboot?
    I want to avoid the extra reboot after firing the script. Rebooting the machine takes time and causes confusion to our users.

Many TIA for any advice!

Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:04 PM

Answers

• As far as I know you'll need to make the changes while logged on. Even if you make the regedits while logged off you would not see the effect until logon and next log off. I doubt if it is necessarily by design, its just the way windows works.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by w7builder Sunday, April 20, 2014 1:07 PM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 2:28 PM

All replies

• For this utility you can ask them over here.

http://forum.sysinternals.com/miscellaneous-utilities_forum11.html

If you do the autologon natively then a reboot would not be required. (use method one)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 12, 2014 3:53 PM
  • Thank you for the reply. Forgive me but would you please explain what you mean by "natively"?

Situation in details: On Windows 2008 R2 server DC I created a GPO -> then I added my VBscript to Startup (GPO/Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)) -> GPO linked to OU and pc. When pc boots (and before the login process) the script starts to run -> the script checks on some files/ settings/ ip-addresses etc and activates auto-logon in the registry ONLY when those specific conditions are met -> when auto-logon is activated the cmd “shutdown /r /t 00” is executed by the script -> after the reboot the autologon works perfectly. 
    My goal is: how to avoid that extra reboot? / How to avoid using “shutdown /r /t 00” and make the pc auo-logon directly after the conditions are met (and the registry settings are correctly set)? 
    Autologon.exe from sysinternals needs also a reboot after using in GUI and/or in a command-line option.

TIA.

• Edited by w7builder Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:15 AM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:56 AM
  • By natively I meant 315231. You should be able to import the REG file and simply log off and pc should autologon.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Thanks for your replay, but I’m afraid you missed my point. I cannot log-off since I’m not logged on yet. Nobody is logged on yet during the pc initial boot. I’m trying to activate auto-logon during the boot process ONLY IF some conditions are met. Kind regards.

Sunday, April 13, 2014 2:23 PM
  • As far as I know you'll need to make the changes while logged on. Even if you make the regedits while logged off you would not see the effect until logon and next log off. I doubt if it is necessarily by design, its just the way windows works.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

• Marked as answer by w7builder Sunday, April 20, 2014 1:07 PM
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 2:28 PM