none
Monitor and Log of Process network Activity

Question

• Hello,

I wish to use "Performance Monitor" to monitor/log the network activity of a specific process(es) (or all processes) of a Win 2008 server?

Can someone point me in the right direction to identify which data collectors I need to use? Or point me to a list of all data collectors and descriptions of them?

My background is not in programming, I am familiar with windows management activities but not very familiar with perfmon.  This will be used in a server that is in production so using built in tools is essential, as third party utilities will be very difficult (not desired) to be installed.

I have been using "resource monitor" > Network > Processes with Network Activity up to now to assist in trouble shooting and testing of the servers but I now need to log the information on multiple servers during testing activities.

Thank you,

Der

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Der,

I want to understand what specific activity are you trying to monitor ?

Every executable will have one active process and associate threads, your query has following requirements
    a) Network activity
    b) Process

Both falls under slightly different categories. For eg: if you want to see live packet information - you cannot use perfmon

And

Perfmon provides following counters for a process instance

a) privileged time
    b) processor time
    c) user time
    d) creating processed
    e) IO information ( all 10 counters )
    f) pagefaults
    g) Thread count
    H) working set / memory counters

=================================================

Typical monitoring recommendations would be
    a) Monitor I/O (if you want to monitor I/O traffic for all the processes / N.w interfaces )
    b) If the process is crashing/ hang / memory leaks then monitor private bytes, working set , page faults etc.. ( depends on your monitoring )

Talking about Resource Monitor : Its a SME tool but wouldn't  classify itself to enterprise level tool but being said that - RM does great job of providing valuable information on Networking activity . Also the enhanced RM gives info about the storage activity ( Basic ) .

Friday, July 12, 2013 1:58 AM
  • Thanks for you information.

I want to be able to log the "Process  with Network Activity" tab in RM.

i.e. send B/s receive B/s for a specific process.

My ideal solution would be save the data captured by RM.

I am not looking for very high end data analysis, I just need to be able to get an idea of the network traffic for a process.

Thanks for your reply it has confirmed some information I was not 100% on.

Der

Edit; my Analysis is monitoring the transfer of data through multiple systems and I want to monitor how each system plus it's processes are handling the transfer. 
    • Edited by mande01 Friday, July 12, 2013 10:41 PM a bit of clarity
    Friday, July 12, 2013 9:50 AM