none
Can't DELETE W8.1 Recycle Bin

Question

• Hi, when I tried to delete the contents of the Recycle Bin on my 1 year old HP W8.1 system, I selected ALL and the icons were hi-lited, I then selected Delete and noticed that Delete icon was "lighted out" (i.e. unusable/unavailable) so I tried to manual delete just one of files in the Recycle Bin by selecting it and then clicking Delete but nothing happened so I would appreciate HELP as to how to delete (clear, clean,...) the recycle Bin on a W81. system? 
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 9:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• I empty the Recycle Bin by right clicking the Desktop Icon and selecting "Empty Recycle Bin"
    Saturday, December 21, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Hi Maynard, I usually do the same but in this instance, the Recycle Bin does NOT appear as a Desktop Icon  

Bob

Sunday, December 22, 2013 1:14 AM
  • Right-click on an open portion of your desktop, then choose Personalize.

Click the link near the upper-left entitled Change desktop icons.

Check the [ ] Recycle Bin box.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, December 22, 2013 3:02 AM
  • I think you've come on to something Noel, I clicked on an open area on my desktop, selected Personalized and then Change Desktop Icons and Recycle Bin came up as FULL so I went back to the Desktop and put Recycle Bin in FIND and was unable to Find the Recycle ii so it appears that the Recycle Bin is full but I don't know where the Recycle file is and/or to how create more room on the Drive/Partition, that the Recycle Bin is on, bigger. BTW, I have a 1THDD and when I searched the "C" Drive for ReCycle, I found a file titled  $recycle.bin.cdf-ms.

I appreciate your help in identifying the problem Noel, any thoughts on how to FIX it?  

Thanks,

Bob

Sunday, December 22, 2013 3:44 PM
  • That setting I identified just is intended to make the Recycle Bin show on your desktop so you can then right-click it and choose Empty.

Did you check the box next to the bin?  And if so, did it show up on your desktop?

-Noel

Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:22 PM
  • You can also use Disk Cleanup to reduce the number of unnecessary files on your drives, which can help your PC run faster. It can delete temporary files and system files, empty the Recycle Bin, and remove a variety of other items that you might no longer need.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/delete-files-using-disk-cleanup#delete-files-using-disk-cleanup=windows-8

Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:57 PM
  • That setting I identified just is intended to make the Recycle Bin show on your desktop so you can then right-click it and choose Empty.

Am I suppose to Right Click on Desktop Icon Settings? If so, NOTHING happens when I right click on ANY of the Desktop Icon Settings (My Computer, USER, Network, Recycle Bin(Full) and Recycle Bin(Empty).  Matter of fact, I don't remember ever seeing TWO Recycle Bin icons (Full and Empty).  

Did you check the box next to the bin?  And if so, did it show up on your desktop?

What box next to the bin Noel?  Desktop Icons Settings does not have a box next to the Recycle Bin icons and $recycle.bin.cdf-ms cdoesn't have a box next to it either

Thanks Noel

Bob

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:41 PM
  • Thank you for your help Bab, I performed a Disk Cleanup and when it was completed, I restarted my computer and when I checked Recycle Bin, there were still 2 of them (Recycle Bin(Full) AND Recycle Bin(Empty) and I was still able to find (locate) the Recycle icon on my Desktop  nor "empty" the Recycle Bin.

Thanks,

Bob

Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:48 PM
  • how to restore recyle in windows 8.1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OjP6MVb80E

The Recycle Bin has two different appearances: one when it's empty, and one when it has files or folders inside. You can customize the appearance of the Recycle Bin by changing one or both of these icons.

Comparison of the Recycle Bin when empty (left) and full (right)
    1. Open Personalization by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type personalization, and then click Personalization.

2. In the left pane, click Change desktop icons.

3. In the list of desktop icons, click Recycle Bin (full) or Recycle Bin (empty), and then do one of the following:

• To change the Recycle Bin to a new icon, click Change Icon. Select an icon from the list, and then click OK.

• To change the Recycle Bin to its original icon, click Restore Default.

4. Click OK.

• Edited by babarmunir Sunday, December 22, 2013 8:05 PM
    Sunday, December 22, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Thank you again for your help Bab, I changed the icon for Recycle Bin(Full) and was able to visually locate the Recycle Bib Full and the Recycle Bin Empty icons on the Desktop and was able to delete (erase/empty) some of the files from Desktop Bin Full but their are still 38 files there that I can not erase (the Desktop Bin Full icon is "lightened" i.e. not available so I was able to remove some files but not all of them. Also, even thought I was able to visually see the Desktop Bin icons on the Desktop, when I did a search (find) on the Desktop for Recycle, nothing showed up even thought the Recycle icon was right in front of me.

Thank you again for ALL your help Bab,

Bob

Sunday, December 22, 2013 9:22 PM
  • Though it sounds like you're past the step of getting the recycle bin to show on your desktop, just to follow-up this was the checkbox I was referring-to.

-Noel

Monday, December 23, 2013 12:32 AM
  • Thank you for you help CanDoItGood, I thought that I should follow the steps that you outlined one at a time and ran into a problem with the first one,. the  "Run-->CMD-->chkdsk/r" option.  When I hit enter, what came up on the screen was:  

Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

So before I try the WinRAR option, I wanted to check why the Run-->CMD-->chkdsk/r didn't work?

Thanks

Bob

Monday, December 23, 2013 3:02 AM
  • what i understand frm your post is.. that u are able to see 2 folders of recycle bin ? and one is empty and other one is full but faded. ?
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:09 AM
  • Hi,

I am confused about your issue. Can't you delete the content in Recycle bin or the Recycle bin icon in the desktop?

If you can't delete the file in the Recycle bin, please try to run the command below:

rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 23, 2013 10:59 AM
  • Hi Karen, I AM able to locate the the Recycle Bin EMPTY folder but NOT the Recycle Bin FULL folder and I am also unable to empty the Recycle Bin (Full) folder. When I tried to RUN rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin,  I was advised Windows can not find "rd". Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again. I “Cut and Paste” rd /s /q C:\$Recycle.bin, so it appears that I have BOTH problems Karen.

Thanks,

Bob

Monday, December 23, 2013 1:11 PM
  • if it possible can u plz attach the screen shots ?
    Monday, December 23, 2013 2:31 PM
  • I'll gladly send you ScreenShts Karen but since there are so many issues going on, WHAT specific pages/items, would you like to see?

Bob

Monday, December 23, 2013 3:15 PM
  • empty and full recycle bin folders
    Monday, December 23, 2013 5:02 PM
  • Hi Karen, I probably jumped the gun when I said I would send you a ScreenShot since I was unable to figure out how to attach/include a JPEG file that is on my Desktop with this note.   Further, the ONLY Recycle Bin folder (file) that I could locate was the Recycle Bin (Full) folder that contained 2 files.

The Recycle Bin (Empty) folder "disappears" after a file is placed in the Recycle Bin (Empty) folder i.e. the Recycle Bin (Empty) folder is NO LONGER Empty (as soon as I empty the Recycle Bin (Full) folder, it "disappears" and the Recycle Bin (Empty) folder appears).

I await your instructions Karen

Thanks

Bob

1. <label for="t-editor-image-url" style="border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px 0.5em 0px 0px;display:inline-block;zoom:1;width:7em;">Image URL</label><input class="t-input" id="t-editor-image-url" style="background-color:#fcfcfc;color:#000000;border:1px solid rgb(165, 179, 197);width:628px;padding:2px 1px 3px;" type="text" />
    2. <label for="t-editor-image-title" style="border:0px;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;margin:0px;outline:0px;padding:0px 0.5em 0px 0px;display:inline-block;zoom:1;width:7em;">Alternate text</label>

Monday, December 23, 2013 7:14 PM
  • u can upload ur images to any free image hosting sites and paste the link here.. i normally use

http:\\tinypic.com

Monday, December 23, 2013 7:32 PM
  • Thanks for the Website Karen, as I mentioned before, I can only "see" one Recycle Bin folder at a time and am not sure what you'll see/find in the attachment that will help but her it is:

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/25ktwrk.jpg[/IMG]     

Please let me know if their is anything else that I can do from this end to help you help me figure out what's going on with my Recycle Bin(s).

Thanks Karen,

Bob

Monday, December 23, 2013 8:38 PM
  • yes i can see.. this is an empty folder.. you were also talking abt recycle bin (FULL) folder.. can you plz share the screen shot of that folder as well ?
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:43 AM
  • Sorry for the misunderstanding, I am only able to view EITHER the Recycle Bin FULL or the Recycle Bin EMPTY folder, I can NOT view BOTH.  If there is something in the Recycle Bin,  the Recycle Bin FULL is displayed and the  the Recycle Bin EMPTY folder "disappears" (is not viable).  If their is nothing in the Recycle Bin,  the Recycle Bin EMPTY folder appears and  the Recycle Bin FULL "disappears" (is not viable).  I am NOT able to "see" BOTH folders at the same time.   I created a bogus word and photo file that placed in a Desktop Folder titled TEST and then deleted the 2 files so that the Recycle Bin FULL folder HAD something in it. Here is the link to the Recycle Bin FULL.

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/rwlbas.jpg[/IMG]

Their will be NO Recycle Bin EMPTY folder until I EMPTY the Recycle Bin FULL folder (only ONE Recycle Bin <FULLor EMPTY) Folder appears at one time

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:58 PM
  • definitely when u delete any file , it will go to recycle bin folder.. and if you empty the recyle bin, thn file will be permanently deleted ..you can get more detail overview of recycle bin from here

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/recycle_bin.mspx?mfr=true

i am sorry i am unable to understand the question what exactly you are looking for.. : (

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:31 PM
  • The remaining question that I have is that I am able to visually locate the Recycle Bin folder on my Desktop but when I perform a search (find) for Recycle Bin, nothing shows up even though I can "see" the Recycle Bin Folder on the Desktop. Is this normal or is it unique to my computer (that could mean a problem somewhere else on  my system)?

Bob

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:24 PM
  • good to know you finally got recycle bin on your desktop : )

i dont think so you can find the recycle bin folder from search menu.. may be other expert can give you better hint if this feature is available..but it does nt make any difference if you find recycle bin using search  or the desktop shortcut.. both are same.. and there is nt any problem with your computer..

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Thank you so much for your help

Bob

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:38 PM
  • welcome : )
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:49 PM