none
RD Connection broker failed to initialize

Question

• We have an RD farm with two session hosts and a gateway that has been working. It has been in use for several months and I don't think anything was changed. I was informed that it stopped working and I do see evidence of this. I've been troubleshooting and see that the hosts both left the farm last week with this error message:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-SessionBroker-Client/Operational
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-SessionBroker-Client
    Date:          7/19/2013 3:06:42 PM
    Event ID:      1283
    Task Category: Connection Broker Client terminate
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      
    User:          NETWORK SERVICE
    Computer:      server08.domain.com
    Description:
    Remote Desktop Services successfully left a farm on the Connection Broker server gate.domain.com.

Since then whenever someone connects we get three events in a row in the same log:

Event ID:      1301
    Task Category: RD Connection Broker Client processes request from a user
    Description:
    Remote Desktop Connection Broker Client received request for redirection. 
    User : DOMAIN\ddawson 
    RDP Client Version : 5

Event ID:      1296
    Description:
    Remote Desktop Connection Broker Client failed while getting redirection packet from Connection Broker.
    User : DOMAIN\ddawson 
    HRESULT = 0x88150002

Event ID:      1306
    Description:
    Remote Desktop Connection Broker Client failed to redirect the user DOMAIN\ddawson. 
    HRESULT = 0x88150002

I'm not sure which direction to go. I've confirmed that the session hosts are both in local group "Session Broker Computers" on our Session Broker. On each host I've removed them from the farm and put them back in. When I do that I get the error:

Event ID:      1284
    Task Category: Connection Broker Client start up
    Description:
    Remote Desktop Connection Broker Client failed to initialize while joining the Connection Broker on server gate.domain.com.
    HRESULT = 0x80070534

I've read the articles telling me to test connectivity. These computers are all on the same physical network and I can RDP and PING back and forth between them all. What can I try next?

Monday, July 29, 2013 8:47 PM

Answers

• This is resolved! On each session host in RD Session Host Configuration -> RD Connection Broker I had set the FQDN instead of the NetBIOS host name. I'm not sure why that broke it. I put the NetBIOS host name back in and got this message shortly after:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-SessionBroker-Client/Operational
    Date:          7/30/2013 8:12:48 PM
    Event ID:      1281
    Keywords:      
    Computer:      server07.domain.com
    Description:
    Remote Desktop Services successfully joined a farm on the Connection Broker server peace.

Redirection is working again.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if this article could help.

Event ID 1284 — RD Connection Broker Communication

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee890933(v=ws.10).aspx

Thanks.

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Have you used Group Policy to set the farm-settings? I have seen RDSH leaving the farm when Group policies are refreshed sometimes. Can you manually remove and then join a RDSH to the farm?

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:19 PM
  • This is resolved! On each session host in RD Session Host Configuration -> RD Connection Broker I had set the FQDN instead of the NetBIOS host name. I'm not sure why that broke it. I put the NetBIOS host name back in and got this message shortly after:

Date:          7/30/2013 8:12:48 PM
    Event ID:      1281
    Keywords:      
    Computer:      server07.domain.com
    Description:
    Remote Desktop Services successfully joined a farm on the Connection Broker server peace.

Redirection is working again.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the sharing and I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Cheers!

Best Regards
    Jeremy Wu

Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Where exactly did you make this change?  I'm having the same problem and for the life of me can't find what you're talking about.
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Admin Tools -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host Configuration. Double-click any of the settings to open Properties. Then go to the RD Connection Broker tab and click Change Settings.

In this screenshot you'll see that the options are grayed out for us and that's because we set this in GP. Whether you set it in GP or directly it'll be exactly the same.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Hi Oscar Ohrling,

We use group policy to set the farm settings and we are seeing event ID 1284 in the TerminalServices-SessionBroker-Client log.  Every 90 minutes (when the group policy is refreshed) we are seeing the session hosts leaving the farm and joining again, and the error is raised between these 2 actions.

Can you kindly advise what can be done to prevent this?

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:30 PM