none
DPM 2012 and restoring individuals emails to a mailbox

Question

• Is it possible with dpm 2012 to be able to restore a users individuals emails like it can with the exchange agent for backup exe 2010?

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:56 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 1:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM only supports restore methods supported by the Microsoft Exchange team.  Individual e-mail or mailbox restores are only supported using Microsoft Exchange tools.  Although 3rd party products offer this granular capaibility, it is not sanctioned, recommended or supported by Microsoft.  The same can be said for AD restores, you must restore AD using systemstate restore, then recovery AD objects using Microsoft tools.

whitepaper: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=be885d26-25e5-41ff-afc8-506414aed960

The whitepaper explains the different options you have.

On page 27 you will find exactly what you need to do to recover a single mailbox.

In order to restore a mail box the entire database files need to be transferred from DPM server to Exchange server. Once the Exchange is mounted on a RSG group you can restore a mailbox. You can extract the required mail from the mailbox from it. This limitation is because Exchange does not Natively support extracting a mailbox/mail without mounting its entire database in Exchange server.

The restore process / granularity is the same as DPM 2007.

See the following links.

Recovering Exchange Server 2010 Data: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399247.aspx
    Recovering Exchange Data: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399730.aspx

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 2:30 PM
  • that is what i am doing in dpm 2010 but i heard that in dpm 2012 it would have the ability to do it very similar to the way backupexe does it Is this not the case?
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

Exchange has not provided a way to restore individual items outside of their tools, so DPM 2012 will restore the same way as DPM 2010.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Quote from Mike: "Although 3rd party products offer this granular capaibility, it is not sanctioned, recommended or supported by Microsoft."

Is this because Microsoft developers can't figure out how to do it themselves?  Are they bitter and jealous?  Seriously, there are MUCH better ways of handling these restores (CA and Symantec have proven this for years), but Microsoft just stubbornly casts them aside.  When will you all embrace them better technology?

Tuesday, October 04, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Dear Microsoft Developers,

Please implement the function to recover single exchange objects like emails, calender data, notes etc. in the DPM 2012. Symantec could fulfill this requirement since years with her  Products Netbackup and Backup Exec. Many other backup manufacturer are also able to do this.

Don't be one of the latest like HP with her Data Protector who are also not able to recover single exchange objects with one click.

Many thanks in advance. 

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:33 AM
  •  

<snip>
    Symantec could fulfill this requirement since years with her  Products Netbackup and Backup Exec. Many other backup manufacturer are also able to do this.
    >snip<

3rd party products that do not use santioned backup / recovery flow that are documented by the exchange product team are leaving you in an unsupported condition should a DB get corrupted.  DPM must follow sanctioned, documented methods for backup / recovery so it's fully supported by the exchange product and support teams. 

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:56 PM
  • I believe the whole point of this thread is to find out when the Exchange team will sanction and support this better and more advanced way of restoring mailboxes.  I realize that your hands are tied and you must conform to the arcane ways of the Exchange team but moving from Arcserve to DPM kind of feels like a downgrade.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:06 PM
  • I agree. It is very difficult to sell DPM without this simple feature to restore an individual mailbox from a database easily.
    MCSE Notes Consultant
    Monday, October 24, 2011 1:34 PM
  • NO because MS is very kind with all the vendors like Symantec / Acronis / Appasure. they are doing the same mistakes like with the smart mobile industry for example: IPHONE killed windows mobile with a simple thing called LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS NEEDS & WOW THEM.

Good luck MS in the new era of speedy evolution.

Don't get me wrong I'm a MS fan, simply frustrated by DPM team.

Thx in advance... Paul Weinberg - www.allrack.net
    Monday, October 24, 2011 3:01 PM
  • But Exchange supoorts extracting of single mailbox using their Exchange' own  tools (New-MailboxExportRequest, etc.). Why is it that DPM will not use these tools to extract single mailbox? It will be very handy and a nice tools in DPM (a nice selling point too!).  I second the motion to the suggestions of this thread that it should be included in DPM 2012 or in a form of Service Pack upgrade to DPM 2010.
    Friday, November 11, 2011 1:27 AM
  • for me the problem is not that the mailbox item restore is not supported by exchange team, but is it acceptable, admissible that Microsoft do less than other solution? So, it is not supported? hey engineers, it's time to work, may be you will find a solution, soon!!!!

Thanks.

Friday, November 25, 2011 9:33 PM
  • Ever heard of single item recovery?
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:17 PM
  • I think Chaz4031 has a good point...single-item recovery can be a life saver.  I also agree with the other comments.  The DPM team has enabled a remote recovery of an item for SharePoint.  This is done by locally mounting the SQL content database to extract the item.  Why couldn't the Exchange database be locally mounted on the DPM server and then use the item search and discovery tools within the native Exchange system to find the item and extract it?  I'm not sure how this is so different from doing single-item recovery remotely for SharePoint?

I think the problem is much more of an organizational issue within Microsoft.  The reason that people get frustrated with Microsoft is that each of their product teams appear as a different business unit to your customers.  You can organize however you like but your customers should not see those silos.  It shouldn't be so hard to get the Exchange team to cooperate with the DPM team to develop a NEW restore method even if it were proprietary to DPM and Exchange working together.  People expect DPM to work better with Exchange because the products are both from Microsoft.  I would think it would be a competitive advantage to have the two teams collaborate more fully.

Of course, this won't change with DPM 2012 or anytime in the near future.  It's been an issue at Microsoft for a long time.

Rob
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 3:45 PM
  • That's really a shame since DPM is so good and file and VM recovery.  In Backup Exec you can click a mailbox and restore it directly.  In DPM2012 I have to push the whole datastore to a recovery DB and export it out?  So now I need oodles more space on my Exchange server?  Not liking that at all.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 11:30 PM