none
Drive map GPPref no longer works :(

Question

• A couple of months ago, I've defined a set of GPOs to map network drives depending of AD group membership of the logged-on user.

This perfectly worked until a week ago, with no particular events recorded into the log to help me in understanding what happened. I also activated GPPrefs Debug Logging (http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/07/18/enabling-group-policy-preferences-debug-logging-using-the-rsat.aspx) but with no success: no messages recorded into the log. Of course, I didn't make any change into the GPOs and network guys told me that they didn't change anything in firewall rules, DNS resolution and topics like these ones.

If I generate a report for the affected users, I see that the user has been recognized as a member of the desired group but...The GPPref is not listed as applied into the report.

Any suggestion will be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Sunday, March 02, 2014 4:25 PM

Answers

• Well...In the end, we've solved the problem by simply re-editing the rule, in terms of the AD group. After this, the SID of the group appeared again in the report. Anyway, I just don't know the reason that caused the SID to be dropped from the report (and thus, I suppose, from the GPO)

• Marked as answer by DashKappei Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further, we’d better confirm the current issue first. Would you please let me know how did you configure the settings and where did you linked the GPO to? Since you have configured the GPP debug logging, I suggest you could paste it here. In addition, please also collect the following information for further research.

GPMC.log

==================

a. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console.

b. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard)

c. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report to save the report to a HTML file.

Regarding how to troubleshoot Group Policy and Drive Mapping issue, please refer to the following articles. Hope this helps.

Troubleshooting Group Policy Problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc787386.aspx

Troubleshooting the Drive Maps Preference Extension in Group Policy: Replace Mode Only Maps the Drive Every Other Logon

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12221.troubleshooting-the-drive-maps-preference-extension-in-group-policy-replace-mode-only-maps-the-drive-every-other-logon.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 03, 2014 10:01 AM
  • The GPPref setting is shown by the following figure

and it's included in a GPO which is linked to an OU that contains both computer and user objects. The policy is security filtered on the "Authenticated Users" group and has only User Configuration enabled, because it only hosts user settings.

We have no access to DCs, because we're only delegated on our OU hierarchy since we're not Domain Admins. Anyway, we're able to generate GP result reports both remotely and, of course, locally by gpresult /h.

I think I cannot provide a full report (because of our privacy policy). Anyway I'll check this with our company responsibles to determine what I'll be able to post here and what I won't be able to post :/

Monday, March 03, 2014 11:35 PM
  • Well...In the end, we've solved the problem by simply re-editing the rule, in terms of the AD group. After this, the SID of the group appeared again in the report. Anyway, I just don't know the reason that caused the SID to be dropped from the report (and thus, I suppose, from the GPO)

• Marked as answer by DashKappei Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:29 AM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 9:29 AM