none
ms chart in SP using .NET 4

Question

• Old setup;    SP 2007 , .NET 3.5 + MS Charts

New setup;  SP 2010, .NET 4

- I read that MS Chart is include in .NET 4, but not 3.5

- I also read SP 2010 uses 3.5 and can't use 4

- I am getting an error, see below, in SP because it can't find MS Chart, how do I load MS Chart components to .NET 3.5 if I only have .NET 4 installed?

Error: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Data.Visualization, Version 4.0.0.0

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:35 PM

Answers

• .NET 4 depends on the CU in use.  There were issues some time ago with certain post-SP1 CUs that caused problems when .NET 4 framework was installed.

Note that you cannot use .NET 4 with SharePoint 2010 pages as the application pools must run under .NET 2.0.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:59 AM
  • You should always limit what you install on production servers.  SharePoint 2010 does not require .NET 4.0, thus no, .NET 4.0 should not be installed as SharePoint 2010 cannot make use of the framework anyhow.  If you have a 3rd party component that requires it, consider moving the component off of the SharePoint server.

Again, there were issues with certain post-SP1 CUs and .NET 4.0, but those have been solved for some time now.

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:03 AM

All replies

• MSChart is a pre-req for SharePoint 2010 (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288751(v=office.14).aspx#section4), but here is the 3.5 version:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14422

Trevor Seward, MCC

Monday, November 04, 2013 6:46 PM
  • Hello SPF12

MSChart is a separate installation for SharePoint Server 2010.  It's one of about 12 different prerequisites that need to be installed for SP2010.  This list includes NET3.5 and 3.5 SP1.  Note that NET3.5 can coexist with 4.0 without any issues.  I have them all installed and do not experience any issues.

Steve

Sunday, November 10, 2013 1:11 AM
  • .NET 4 depends on the CU in use.  There were issues some time ago with certain post-SP1 CUs that caused problems when .NET 4 framework was installed.

Note that you cannot use .NET 4 with SharePoint 2010 pages as the application pools must run under .NET 2.0.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Trevor

I'm able to run SharePoint 2010 without issue while having NET version through 4.0 installed.  A quick search seems to find similar results:

Are you suggesting that NET 4.0 should not be installed?

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:13 AM
  • You should always limit what you install on production servers.  SharePoint 2010 does not require .NET 4.0, thus no, .NET 4.0 should not be installed as SharePoint 2010 cannot make use of the framework anyhow.  If you have a 3rd party component that requires it, consider moving the component off of the SharePoint server.

Again, there were issues with certain post-SP1 CUs and .NET 4.0, but those have been solved for some time now.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:03 AM