none
Running Hyper-V on Windows 7!

General discussion

• I know this might sound like a silly question, but its only cuz im still new to the whole virtualization technology!

Suppose i have a pc that runs windows7, is it possible to install Hyper-V on top of it?

thank you all in advance
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:45 PM

All replies

• No but it is possible to run JUST the Hyper-v server (the command line only server) and use the RSAT tools on your Windows 7 box to create and admin your vm's which are running on this box. So there are a couple of caveats here:
    1. You need Hyper-V server 2008 (or 2008 R2) running on a true VT enabled server (IT'S FREE So download it.)
    2. The RSAT tools on your Windows 7 box

You could also use Vmware Workstation to load the Hyper-v 2008 server as a proof of concept so you can see what it looks like.

It works pretty well in that fashion.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike

Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:02 AM
  •  

Windows 7 doesn't have feature to install Hyper-V, but if you have Server2008 or 2008 R2, on the top of that you can even install Windows 7 as virtual machine.

You need to changes BIOS to enabled Virtualization Technology. and then open Server Manager and add new roles select Hyper-V.

After reboot, click new on server manager, select virtual machine. will be good if you have .iso images of ghost OS.

I feel its not the comprehensive but definitely help you.

Neeraj

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hi Neeraj,

I have Work Station 7 installed on Win7. When i try to install Win2008R2, I get a pop up that, VT is not enabled and here is the situation My Processor dont support VT. Can you suggest me how to proceed with this case

Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Yes. Is possible. I'll have to download and install this update Windows6.1-KB958830-x64-RefreshPkg.msu. When you finish to install, go to control pannel -> programs and features -> active and desactive system features. Then check Hyper-V tools. It is all.
    Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:57 AM
  • If your processor doesn't support the virtualization requirements of Hyper-V then you won't be able to install it on that system. You could try Virtual PC instead, its not as robust as Hyper-V but for some people its all they need.

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:41 PM
    Owner
  • If you really wanted to play around with Hyper-V from Windows 7, you will need to run or install VMware Player and give it whatever is available in your system, When done with the installation create the VMs from it. Remember this might slow down your computer if you are not running Intel i5 or i7 or AMD Opteron 12 or 18-Core. I suggesting getting AMD 18-Core CPU. Hope this helps you.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:12 AM
  • hi

that KB is for RSAT . when you Install that you just mange administrator Tools that Run on other Server such As DNS Server , Hyper-v and so on . you can't Use this KB to install hyper-V lpcally

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee449475(v=ws.10).aspx

you can install Hyper-v on windows 8 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh857623.aspx

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:16 PM
  • You require Intel VT or amd 64 processor which supports virtualization. Windows 8 supports installing Hyper V module if you have Intel VT or amd 64 processors. I am not sure about Windows 7.

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:54 AM