none
Windows 8.1 wont standby or shut down

Question

• Hi.

I have a laptop (Clevo P150EM) with Win 8.1.

CPU: Intel i7
    Ram: 32gb
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro (newest firmware, newest samsung magician)
    HDD: Yes, 1tb
    Graphic: Nvidia gtx680m

When shutting down or putting to standby the screen goes black but the system is still on... I can hear the fans going.

I suddenly got the same problem when I had Win 8. When upgrading to Win 8.1 the problem disappeared. But now the problem came back. I dont know what I did to get it. Maybe some new drivers?

I have all updates from Intel Updater and Windows Update.

I there a way to start some kind of logging to see what wont shut down?

• Edited by BigDrago Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:01 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 6:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Manufacturer/Model of the Laptop?

Was it working before updating drivers and windows update?

Did you install any other software recently?

Do you have antivirus? If yes, Name please.

Try disabling Hybrid Shutdown feature (Refer http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-restart-and-shutdown-problems-by-disabling-hybrid-shutdown-feature/)

Please post what worked.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:14 PM
  • Clevo P150EM

Yes it was working after I installed 8.1. (I formated c:\ and installed 8.1)

Havent installed any special software recently.

I use Win8.1 own antivirus and malware.

Hybrid shutdown is disabled.

There must be some kind of logging system that can trace the problem?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:00 PM
  • 1. Go to Event viewer. (Run --> eventvwr.exe)

2. Expand the Windows logs and select SYSTEM

Click "Filter Current Log" from the right side panel

3. Type 7026, 7, 11, 55 in Event ID text box and select Error check box. (Preferable to check one by one event ID)

Most recent error will appear from top. (if no error displayed, no problem)

4. Double click the first error and check the errors in General tab.

5. Check top 5 errors and post the errors displaying in General tab..

Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Hi,

When you shut down computer, it is probably some application or service was running that stop system shut down. You can check Task Manager before close system, if there were any 3rd application and service was running, close them for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 25, 2014 6:26 AM
  • 1. Go to Event viewer. (Run --> eventvwr.exe)

2. Expand the Windows logs and select SYSTEM

Click "Filter Current Log" from the right side panel

3. Type 7026, 7, 11, 55 in Event ID text box and select Error check box. (Preferable to check one by one event ID)

Most recent error will appear from top. (if no error displayed, no problem)

4. Double click the first error and check the errors in General tab.

5. Check top 5 errors and post the errors displaying in General tab..

No errors...

Only this:

Warning, ID11:

Custom dynamic-link libraries loaded for each application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197571 If you want more information.

Information, ID 7026

The following boot-start or system driver (s) failed to load:
    cdrom
    checkers

Information, ID 55:

The processor 7 in group 0 shows the following power capacity:

Idle state type: ACPI Inaktivitetstilstander (C) (2 condition (s))

Condition Type of performance: ACPI Power Condition (P) / Restriction Condition (T)
    Rated Frequency (MHz): 2601
    Maximum performance percentage: 100
    Minimum performance percentage: 46
    Minimum suffocation percent: 46

Friday, April 25, 2014 10:38 AM
  • Hi.

When shutting down or putting to standby the screen goes black but the system is still on... I can hear the fans going.

I suddenly got the same problem when I had Win 8. When upgrading to Win 8.1 the problem disappeared. But now the problem came back. I dont know what I did to get it. Maybe some new drivers?

In order to diagnose your computers issue please follow the below instructions

Before you do I suggest you at least make a restore point or backup (Just in case)

Open an elevated command prompt and run the applicable trace.

For shutdown tracing: (slow shutdown)

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

All of these will shutdown, hibernate, or standby your computer and then reboot to finish tracing. 
    After you login to your PC, the new startscreen is shown and you have to click to the desktop to see countdown timer. 
    Again, wait until the timer finishes. After it does you can find the trace in C:\TEMP.
    Find the trace>compress it>upload it to skydrive (or some other file sharing service)>give us a link to it on the upload site

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, April 25, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Hi.

Before you do I suggest you at least make a restore point or backup (Just in case)

xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

All of these will shutdown, hibernate, or standby your computer and then reboot to finish tracing. 
    After you login to your PC, the new startscreen is shown and you have to click to the desktop to see countdown timer. 
    Again, wait until the timer finishes. After it does you can find the trace in C:\TEMP.
    Find the trace>compress it>upload it to skydrive (or some other file sharing service)>give us a link to it on the upload site

Thank you very much!!

Logfile:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31745108/Log.zip

• Edited by BigDrago Friday, April 25, 2014 9:12 PM
    Friday, April 25, 2014 7:57 PM
  • BD

Please run shutdown and standby at the same time.  So far it appears MSE is one of the culprits and nvvsvc.exe.  The first Defender, the second Nvidia.

For boot tracing: (slow boot)
    xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

Note, in Windows 8 it is safe to use the DRIVERS flag, the Windows 7 bug is fixed in Windows 8.

For Standby+Resume: (issues when resuming from sleep)

xbootmgr -trace standby -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

For Hibernate+Resume: (issues when resuming from hibernation)

xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:24 PM
  • BD

Please run shutdown and standby at the same time.  So far it appears MSE is one of the culprits and nvvsvc.exe.  The first Defender, the second Nvidia.

For boot tracing: (slow boot)
    xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

Note, in Windows 8 it is safe to use the DRIVERS flag, the Windows 7 bug is fixed in Windows 8.

For Standby+Resume: (issues when resuming from sleep)

xbootmgr -trace standby -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

For Hibernate+Resume: (issues when resuming from hibernation)

xbootmgr -trace hibernate -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP

Thanks a lot for the help!

Shutdown logfile

Boot logfile

Standby logfile

Hibernate logfile

I could not shutdown, standby or hibernate this computer. The screen goes black but the keyboard still has light and I hear the fans. I have to hold the power button to shut down the system.

• Edited by BigDrago Friday, April 25, 2014 9:06 PM corrected language
    Friday, April 25, 2014 8:58 PM
  • Problem solved!

Installed new drivers for realtek audio, synaptics touchpad, hotkey and realtek card reader.
    Friday, April 25, 2014 9:46 PM