none
Creating a new network: how to get the "DOMAIN\" to appear instead of the domain name?

Question

• Hello,

I was curious if someone could tell me how to get a new;y created domain to say "Domain\[username]" instead of the domain name ie "Wiggles\[username]".

Thanks in advance, I'm sure this is a easy task, I just can't figure out how to do it.

Friday, June 14, 2013 2:06 PM

Answers

• Now I see what's going on. When a domain is first created, you must choose what the DNS FQDN domain name will be, as well as the NetBIOS (Pre-Windows 2000) name will be. Apparently someone chosen two different names. Normally, and to reduce confusion, we'll choose a name such as mycompany.com for the DNS FQDN name, and MYCOMPANY as the NetBIOS name. In some cases, I've seen the NetBIOS name totally different, as in your case where the DNS FQDN name (the one used for the UPN), is pcg.com, but the NetBIOS name is DOMAIN.

-

You have two choices:

1. Leave it alone and accept it.
    2. Perform a domain rename.

-

Me? I would choose #1. A rename is not really advisable.

-

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Technical Blogs & Videos: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hello,

if you think name your domain "domain" then you can use domain\username but the domain name YOU specify during promotion of the server to DC as NetBIOS name is the one you see and have to use to logon.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, June 14, 2013 5:54 PM
  • well let me give you an example. Our domain at work that I inherited is called wolly.com however when I log into a server I login in with domain\[username] not wolly\[username] - does domain\ work by default or is their an setting someplace that I can modify to allow domain\ to work?
    Monday, June 17, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Hello,

please post your NetBIOS name and also the FQDN shown in DNS.

If DOMAIN is not configured anywhere then you can of course NOT use it. If the domain was installed normally then it should be WOLLY the NetBIOS name that should be used during logon, so WOLLY\username or username@wolly.com.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, June 17, 2013 5:25 PM
  • What do you mean by "DOMAIN?" If WOLLY is your domain name, then that's what you should see. Is the domain name "DOMAIN" literally what you're actually seeing, or is it some other name?

If you're seeing "DOMAIN," it may mean there's a trust to that domain name, or the machine you're logging into is part of a domain name called DOMAIN, and you can simply switch it for a cross-domain or cross-forest trust.

It may be possible that at first logon, you may see the machine's NetBIOS name on a non-DC.

Let's see the info Meinolf requested, please.

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP/EA, MCTS Windows 2008/R2 & Exchange 2007, Exchange 2010 EA, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003

This post is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, June 17, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Well the use of Wolly is just a fake use of a domain name. I don't always feel comfortable posting the actual name of our FQDN and NetBios information on the internet.

I guess the better question is this I didn't design this network, I've always been the Junior Administrator, however our Senior Administrator left the company about 2 years ago and I was thrown into the role of Lead Administrator (bear in mind I'm the sole IT person for 800 users now so I'm like the jack-of-all-trade person if you catch my drift) even though I didn't know everything about 2008 R2. So I suppose my question for you guys is what would I need to do to make a our FQDN (for instance wolly.com) be able to log into the network as Domain\[username] instead of using Wolly\[username]?

Currently I'm working on the final stages of the MCSA certification for 2008 R2, so some of this is familiar to me, however you can only learn so much in a VMWare Workstation environment at home.

For the sake of this question I'll post the actual FQDN and Nbtstat information so this can be easier to answer the question.

Full Qualified Domain Name (FQDN)

pcgdc1.pcg.com

pcgdc4.pcg.com

pcgdc5.pcg.com

pcgdc6.pcg.com

nbtstat - n information

Name                            Type                           Status

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCGDC1                (00) Unique                       Registered

DOMAIN                 (1C) Group                      Registered

DOMAIN                (00)  Group                        Registered

PCGDC1                (20) Unique                      Registered

DOMAIN                (1B) Unique                      Registered

As it is right now the network allows me to log into the network as DOMAIN\[username] even thought the FQDN is pcg\[username]

Could one of you gentlemen explain to me what I would need to do to make any network (even a test network on a VMware Workstation) show up as DOMAIN\[username] instead of the FQDN used initially to create the network?

I hope I asked this question correctly. Sorry for the delayed response, I've deployed 2 RODC's, expanded one of our 3 locations to /23 and installed a 25 AP Wireless network lately, it's be super busy for a 1 man IT department, LOL!!!!!

Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:30 PM
  • So you're saying that there are two possible names but you only have one domain, and the real domain name is pcg.com? Then it sounds like there's a trust in place for DOMAIN that no longer exists. Check AD Domains and Trusts for that name and remove it.

Ace Fekay

Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:35 AM
  • sort of I like that the login is domain\[username] instead of pcg\[username]; I suppose my question is, how do you make the "domain" part of the login override the default FQDN (if the above information in Net BIOS didn't exist)?

All this information above was inputted by my predecessor and I'd love to know how it was implemented.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Not sure. I assumed it was a trust to a child domain or domain in another forest that's no longer there.

Can you post an example of a user account property's Account tab? What does it show for the Pre-Windows 2000 login, and what does it show for the UPN?

Ace Fekay

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Ahhh so let me see if I understand this. This is a AD Domain and Trusts entry? - I'm still trying to figure out how to do this. I'm getting certified with the MCSA, I'm down to the 70-646 exam right now, I passed the 1st 2 exams. However I feel that setting up this Netbios trust within my network is something that was probably taught in NOS of the past however now it's not being taught and people like me are left not knowing how to do it. I want to learn; I've google searched everywhere but I can't find a resource that explains what I'm trying to accomplish.

I just would like to know what I would need to do to say change my home network at home which is say tsmith\[username] and make it something more simple like DOMAIN\[username]? - However this would still keep the FQDN as tsmith.com it just would affect the manner in which someone logs in....

as requested the picture is below....

I sure hope someone could help me fill in the gap of knowledge I'm seeking. I think I re-read my MCSA book twice this weekend looking for something that referenced this information but I'm flabbergasted and it's annoying me a great deal. it's becoming a thorn in my side until I figure out how to accomplish this task.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Now I see what's going on. When a domain is first created, you must choose what the DNS FQDN domain name will be, as well as the NetBIOS (Pre-Windows 2000) name will be. Apparently someone chosen two different names. Normally, and to reduce confusion, we'll choose a name such as mycompany.com for the DNS FQDN name, and MYCOMPANY as the NetBIOS name. In some cases, I've seen the NetBIOS name totally different, as in your case where the DNS FQDN name (the one used for the UPN), is pcg.com, but the NetBIOS name is DOMAIN.

-

You have two choices:

1. Leave it alone and accept it.
    2. Perform a domain rename.

-

Me? I would choose #1. A rename is not really advisable.

-

Ace Fekay

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:33 PM
  • Ahhh so basically when the domain is created initially on the 1st DC on the network in DNS you can set the FQDN to say pcg.com but the Netbios name doesn't necessarily have to be the same name but it can be different? (The netbios name is what is used to login to a network?) - If I understood this correctly this is where I would make the necessary change. However I think if I wanted to do this on a test network I'd have to redo the network from scratch, huh?

Live and learn I suppose....

I'm not so much wanting to change it just understand how it was done in the 1st place.

There is only so much a certification book will explain the rest you have to learn from scenerios like this and others than have experienced it.

Thank you Ace for your wisdom!

• Edited by PCG-IT Department Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:43 PM completion of responbce
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:41 PM
  • You can logon with either the UPN, "username@pcg.com," or the legacy method, "DOMAIN\username."

But you can't change it without a rename. If on a test network, you can try a rename just to see how it works, but it's a PITA (pain in the aggravation), but it's easier just to re-do it!

Cheers!

Ace Fekay

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Ace,

One more quick question. If i added a UPN Suffix and say changed it to presidentcontainer then the login "tsmith@presidentcontainter" would work however if I added a UPN suffix it wouldn't do crap for the DOMAIN\username issue right?

Just for my reference purposes, where in the initially creation of the network would I change the Netbios name? - I fear I don't have as much experience as you with fresh network creations other than a test network on VMware Workstation. - would I make this Netbios name in the dcpromo stage or when I create DNS for the 1st time?

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:25 PM
  • It's selected when the very first DC is created in the domain.

And you MUST select a DNS domain name (used by the UPN and all AD functions) with a minimum of two levels, such as President container.com, presidentcontainer.local, etc. Otherwise it will be a single-labeled DNS domain name, which is useless.

Ace Fekay

FaceBookTwitterLinkedIn

Thursday, July 04, 2013 9:23 PM