none
How to link an Excel cell to a Project Server Custom Field

Question

• Hi,

I'm using Project Server 2010, and I would like to link an Excel cell to a Project Server Custom Field. I've installed the PS 2010 Solution Starters Excel Project Cost Capture, and I have followed the instructions in order to link the fields: I've created a PDP with the costandbenefit webpart, and it shows the CostandBenefit.xlsx, inside it I have Created new names in the cells that I want to link, the name is the same than the Custom Field, but when I save the Excel file with the new values it doesn't work at all, the custom field keeps empty.

The instructions in PS2010 Starter Solutions are very limited and probably there is something that I have to do and I haven't done.

I have the Project Web App in order to visualize the Excel file, but not for edition, I have to 'Open in Excel'.

Do you know how to do it?

Thank you in advance,

José Espases

Monday, May 06, 2013 4:01 PM

All replies

• hello 

did you get any answer in whatever manner?

regards

Jérome

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:57 PM
  • Easiest would be to embed a SQL query in an Office Data Connection.....

Another option would be to create an online Excel report with the same query...then use REST to pull the specific field into Excel.  I don't know if REST is directly supported within Excel, but I would imagine VBA could leverage it.

...which would probably make option 1 a bit simpler.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Hi Jérome/Andrew,

thank you for your answer.

No I didn't get any answer on this issue, at the end I did something similar to what Andrew says, SQL query inside an Excel file and the user updating data.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of migration to 2013 (it's a nightmare) and I couldn't care about this issue for the moment.

Thank you and kind regards,

José Espases

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:15 AM
  • Hello andrew, thanks for the answer.

I want to use it in the other way meaning from excel services modification to update the custom field accordingly.

any advices appreciated.

regards

Jérome

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Hello

I wanted to reproduce what's in the Excel Project Cost Capture from the project 2010 solution starter.

so I have the information form that package http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter

Jérome

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:14 PM
  • HI Jerome,

Hopefully Andrew will post back to your query as well.

for now, let me just share my thought regarding your requirement that update to custom field through excel is not supported directly. you need to do it programmaticaly by using PSI (project server interface), reading required data from excel and update respective custom fields. and further you can schedule this process to be executed periodically.

hope this clarifies to your query.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

• Proposed as answer by Jérome C Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:03 PM
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:26 PM
  • yes this helps a lot.

I will experiment the Excel Project Cost Capture from the Project solution starters and see how I can extend this.

thanks

Jérome

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:02 PM