none
How to retrieve the vhd file of my VM

Question

• Hi,

My Project Server 2010 VM (for demo, on my laptop) is corrupted so I want to replace it by a copy I made several months ago on an external HDD.

The "Import Virtual Machine" feature generates the error message : "A server error occured while attempting to import the virtual machine. Import failed. Unable to find virtual machine import files under location..."

Is there another way to use/copy/retreive  the .vhd file as a VM on my laptop?

Thanks for your help

NB : OS = Windows Server 2008 R2 +SP1

Monday, June 24, 2013 11:02 AM

Answers

• If you want to move a VM from one machine to another, simply get in the habit of Exporting, copying the folder and the files in it, and then importing on the destination system.

The act of exporting places all the files of the VM in one neat folder, regardless of where / how they might actually have been built.

The most common problem folks run in to is that they use a differencing disk off some root VHD and they copy the VM and differencing disk, but not the parent / root vhd and end up with a broken VHD path.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:26 PM
  •   You should be able to copy just the .vhd file and create s new vm using the existing .vhd (as log as there are not snapshots, as Brian mentioned).

Bill

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:20 AM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 11:32 PM

All replies

• If you want to move a VM from one machine to another, simply get in the habit of Exporting, copying the folder and the files in it, and then importing on the destination system.

The act of exporting places all the files of the VM in one neat folder, regardless of where / how they might actually have been built.

The most common problem folks run in to is that they use a differencing disk off some root VHD and they copy the VM and differencing disk, but not the parent / root vhd and end up with a broken VHD path.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:26 PM
  •   You should be able to copy just the .vhd file and create s new vm using the existing .vhd (as log as there are not snapshots, as Brian mentioned).

Bill

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:20 AM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 11:32 PM
  • hi, could you help with this:

I ran into a problem. I am hoping some can guide me in the right direction. I have a lab environment running hyperV 2012 nodes. One of the hyperv 2012 node with das crashed and couple of the vms on it are in critical state. It is a lab environment so its not causing any major disruption, but one the vm was a web server which has a sql db that i need to retrieve.

What happened is I tried to reattach the vms vhdx file to a a new machine and somehow an older snapshot got merged with the most recent vhdx. I was able to stat the vm but it has older data from the snapshot, which is not helpful.

Is there anyway or tool to retrieve the files from the original vhdx,
    Files and folders: wwwroot folder and sql db.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you,
    singh

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:04 PM
  • Remember, a snapshot is not a copy - it is a point in time.

So, to get the most current, you need the AVHDX that represents the "Now".

Only if all snapshots have been deleted and merged is there not an AVHDX that represents "now"

So, did your older snapshot get merged if your VHDX looks like an older moment in time?  Most likely no merge happened.  Because copying out the VHDX at the bottom should be an older machine state if you have snapshots.

Your 'now' is in the AVHDX that links to this VHDX (there could be multiples in a chain as well).

If you mount the latest (the AVHDX with the most recent changes) and all the rest of the chain, you will have an intact 'now'

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:13 PM
  • Thanks for a quick response.

I am kinda confused. Please see the image. My node crashed yesterday Oct 21. The most current AVHDX represents an older snapshot. Could you look at the image and let me know your thoughts.

http://i41.tinypic.com/ht9ngh.png

RS

• Edited by RSTARK Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:39 PM
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:33 PM