none
How to Upgrade DPM 2012 Update 3 to DPM 2012 SP 1 v3

Question

• Hello,

I have 2 DPM 2012 servers:

Server 1 - DPM 2012 SP 1 Update 3
    Server 2 - DPM 2012 Update 3 (4.0.1920.0) + Scom 2007

Most of my DPM backup jobs are on server 1. I tried moving DPM jobs to Server 2 from Server 1, but this generates an error stating that the DPM version is too old and to uninstall the current newer agents and install an older agent on the protected members.

Rather than install older DPM agents, I tried upgrading Server 2 to DPM 2012 SP 1 Update 3 using Microsoft's "search catalogue" feature, which failed (installer says product not installed). I then tried SP 1 Update 2, but this gives a .NET exception.

1. Can I install DPM 2012 SP 1 Update 3 directly on Server 2 or do I need to upgrade to SP 1 first and then SP 1 Update 3?
    2. Where can I download just Service Pack 1 Update 3 for DPM 2012 (not VHDs or eval copies)?
    3. Do I need a technet subscription to download SP 1 Update 3?

I've tried the Windows Update feature on my DPM Server, but this fails to see DPM 2012 SP 1 Update 3.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you have DPM 2012 Sp1 installed on Server 1, you must have DPM 2012 Sp1 installation media, so just upgrade Server 2 to DPM 2012 Sp1 - then you can install Sp1 UR3.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you have DPM 2012 Sp1 installed on Server 1, you must have DPM 2012 Sp1 installation media, so just upgrade Server 2 to DPM 2012 Sp1 - then you can install Sp1 UR3.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 4:28 AM
  • Mike,

I can't find the original install media as I didn't install DPM 2012 sp1.

Where can I download DPM 2012 SP 1 from?

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

From Volume Licensing Service Center https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:47 PM