none
Domain Controllers on a different domain

Question

• We have a Windows 2012 Domain Controller and a Windows 2003 Domain Controller on a different domain.  Do you foresee any problems?

Thanks.

Diane

Diane

Friday, October 04, 2013 10:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• No issues as long as you don't update the Forest Functional level above Server 2003.  

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Saturday, October 05, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Can you expand your answer?  I don't understand what you meant "as long as you don't update the Forest Functional level above Server 2003".  Do you mean "as long as I don't upgrade my Windows 2003 Domain Controller"?

Thanks.

Diane

Saturday, October 05, 2013 2:26 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I assume that the two DCs are in different domains but the same forest. If I misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

You can achieve that if you set the forest functional level and the domain functional level correctly. Please make sure the domain functional level is higher than the forest functional level. Since your DCs are installed on Windows server 2012 and Windows server 2003, you need to set the forest functional level to Windows Server 2003.

More detailed information, please refer to the link below:

Understanding Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) Functional Levels

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/understanding-active-directory-functional-levels(WS.10).aspx

Best regards,

Susie

Monday, October 07, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Susie, I think you meant to say 2003 Forest Functional level as Server 2008 functional level doesn't support 2003 dc's.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Monday, October 07, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Yes, what I mean is 2003 Forest Functional level.

Sorry for my mistake and thanks for your reminder.

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 2:02 AM