none
SBS 2011 standard Network configuration

Question

• Currently run sbs2003. Purchased a new server and did a clean install of sbs 2011 standard, having trouble with the DHCP server.

The existing network has 2 routers. The server is connected to router 1 which has DHCP enabled. The router assigns the ip's to the clients. Our ISP provides a static IP. This is how out network is setup.

Public ip:***.***.***.***, Subnet 255.255.255.252, gateway ***.***.***.***, DNS1 ***.***.***.***, DNS2 ***.***.***.***  

Router 1 setup ip:192.168.3.1, Subnet 255.255.255.0, gateway ***.***.***, DNS1 ***.***.***.***, DNS2 ***.***.***.***,  DHCP range 192.168.3.100 to 192.168.3.149

Current sbs2003 setup ip: 192.168.3.2, subnet 255.255.255.0,  gateway: 192.168.3.1, DNS 192.168.3.2

Clients ip’s: Obtain automatically,  DNS1 192.168.3.2

The router is connected to a dell Switch and all clients are connect to the dell switch

1.    What do I need to do to get sbs2011 to become the DHC server?

2.    How do I connect the clients to the sbs 2011

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Ian

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• David's correct, SBS has a bunch of wizards used for the install and configuration of the server on the network. Have you read through the Technet instructions of a clean install of SBS 2011? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg697164.aspx

Also not sure if you're aware of this but it's a breach of license to have multiple SBS servers on the same network, one day in the next month the two of them are going to look at each other and one or both of them is going freak and start shutting down every hour.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Hi Ian,

Thank you for your post.

I suggest you do following steps to configure your SBS network:

1. Disable DHCP on your router, enable DHCP on your SBS2003. Keep SBS2003 NIC with static IP and other gateway/DNS settings.

2. SBS network does not supported two SBS servers exists except the migration SBS server 21 days durations.
    If you want to migrate SBS2003 to SBS2011, you could use sbsmigration.com or use official migration guide.
    If you want to new install SBS2011 without migrate from SBS2003, you could use GreenlightTech post url article to install and configure SBS2011.

3. When SBS migration completed, enable DHCP on your SBS2001, shutdown SBS2003 and SBS client will auto connect to SBS2011.
    Here is thread about SBS migration, hope it helpful to you.   

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• You should be able to configure DHCP under the admin tools (if you don't see it in there, go into server manager > roles > dhcp), and you might need to authorise it as well depending on how it was initially configured.

However, i think DHCP on the sevrer may shutdown automatically if it detects anothe DHCP server on the network (in your case the router), check the event logs.... and if so stop the one on the router. Your scope should be similar to the current scope, but with DNS server to the sbs 2011 server IP.

Dave

David Hood www.consilium-uk.com
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:57 PM
  • When I disable DHCP on the router, am I to statically assign an IP Address to the server?

Or does the server assign its own ip address, if so how does server obtain an address when DHCP Is disabled

If the server obtains an IP automatically do I forward the ports, or how do I forward the ports I need?

ian

Thanks
    Monday, September 19, 2011 10:25 PM
  • well does the server have  a static or dhcp address at the moment?

can you list the output of an ipconfig /all of the server?

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:32 PM
  • i had it statically assigne then changed it to automaticaly assign
    Thanks
    Monday, September 19, 2011 10:35 PM
  • i'd set it back to static (gateway as the router, dns as 127.0.0.1), then stop dhcp on the router.

then run the connect to internet wizard.

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:53 PM
  • David's correct, SBS has a bunch of wizards used for the install and configuration of the server on the network. Have you read through the Technet instructions of a clean install of SBS 2011? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg697164.aspx

Also not sure if you're aware of this but it's a breach of license to have multiple SBS servers on the same network, one day in the next month the two of them are going to look at each other and one or both of them is going freak and start shutting down every hour.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Hi Ian,

Thank you for your post.

I suggest you do following steps to configure your SBS network:

1. Disable DHCP on your router, enable DHCP on your SBS2003. Keep SBS2003 NIC with static IP and other gateway/DNS settings.

2. SBS network does not supported two SBS servers exists except the migration SBS server 21 days durations.
    If you want to migrate SBS2003 to SBS2011, you could use sbsmigration.com or use official migration guide.
    If you want to new install SBS2011 without migrate from SBS2003, you could use GreenlightTech post url article to install and configure SBS2011.

3. When SBS migration completed, enable DHCP on your SBS2001, shutdown SBS2003 and SBS client will auto connect to SBS2011.
    Here is thread about SBS migration, hope it helpful to you.   

If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:55 AM