Miracast in Windows 8.1 Preview

Question

• I have tested Miracast with Netgear PTV3000 (firmware 2.2.16) in 5 different computers running Windows 8.1 Preview. Miracast works with Samsung Series 7 All-in-One PC, but not in other computers.

Are there any device or driver requirements for Miracast in Windows 8.1? I am trying to project (duplicate) my screen through Miracast.

- Samsung Series 7 All-in-One PC (DP700A3D-A01US): Adding PTV3000 works and I can project my screen through Miracast.

- Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch: Adding PTV3000 works partially (PIN code is asked), but new projector is not added to device list and projecting does not work.

- Samsung Series 7 Slate (XE700TA-H01SE): Adding PTV3000 works partially (PIN code is asked), but new projector is not added to device list and projecting does not work.

- Acer Iconia W510: Adding PTV3000 works partially (PIN code is asked), but new projector is not added to device list and projecting does not work.

- Lenovo Thinpad W520: Adding PTV3000 works partially (PIN code is asked), but new projector is not added to device list and projecting does not work.

I have also noticed, that after partial addition of PTV3000 Miracast device, I have to go to the "old" Device Manager to remove the device. In Samsung Series 7 All-in-One PC in can remove the PTV3000 Miracast device from the "new" PC & Devices / Devices menu.

If projection is active during the removal of the PTV3000 Miracast device, the removal gets stuck and I have to reboot my computer in order to remove the device. If I stop the projection first, the removal works. Perhaps Windows 8.1 could automatically stop the projection when I want to remove the Miracast device from my device list.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 10:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Same question here on a Dell Latitude E6510
    Monday, July 01, 2013 6:59 PM
  • According to http://withinwindows.com/within-windows/2013/6/30/windows-81-features-miracast-wireless-display-tech-and-it-works-well computer hardware must support Miracast and you also need display drivers designed for Windows 8.1

Nvidia and AMD already have released Preview Drivers:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/06/26/nvidia-drivers-for-windows-8-1-release-preview-now-available-2/

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystWIN8-1PreviewDriver.aspx

Intel HD Graphics 3000 or lower don't work yet. Intel HD Graphics 4000 (e.g. Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch) and Surface Pro should work.

• Edited by TimoH Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:28 PM added text
    • Marked as answer by TimoH Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:10 PM
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:55 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update. You can waiting these vendors to release the latest driver for Windows 8.1.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Ok so i have an Intel HD Graphics 4000 and im wondering if i need a new driver or something? is there something i should be doing? where is the setting? what does microsoft call it? do i need to install or enable it?
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Miracast just works, if you have correct driver+hardware.

Using Surface Pro + Netgear PTV3000 + Sony KDL-X3500 TV:

- open settings charm

- change pc settings

- pc & devices

- devices

- add a device

- select PTV3000 and enter WPS PIN

- if you see a new projector in device list, adding succeeded. Otherwise adding failed and you have to remove ptv3000 from "old" device manager's software devices

- open devices charm, select project or play

• Edited by TimoH Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:29 PM correction
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:24 PM
  • I have a Surface Pro recently upgrade to Windows 8.1 and a PTV3000 with the latest firmware.  I am able to connect and enter WPS and I get a "Couldn't Connect" error.  I have removed the device and re-added.  I even downgraded the PTV3000 firmware a version.  Can you tell me what version of the firmware you are using?
    Friday, July 05, 2013 5:42 PM
  • I am using PTV3000 fimware version 2.2.16. What kind of display or TV do you have?

I have noticed that some displays (e.g. our older Nec HD displays) are not compatible with Miracast, but our newer Samsung HD displays and my Sony TV are compatible with Miracast.

Friday, July 05, 2013 8:32 PM
  • I have a Thinkpad T61 in which I've replaced the WiFi card to an Intel 3265 (which is NDIS 6.3 compatible). And it has a Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphics chip, which has a compatible WDDM 1.3 driver, released by Nvidia for 8.1 preview on the 29th of June.

But I can still not get miracast to work. The computer connects fine to the Netgear PTV3000... But there is no new projector added to the device list.

Is there anyone else with a Nvidia graphics chip that has gotten it to work? Or is it the Nvidia driver that doesn't support miracast yet?

//Peter Mattsson

• Edited by MattssonMattsson Saturday, July 06, 2013 7:55 AM added some newlines
    Saturday, July 06, 2013 7:54 AM
  • I have a Thinkpad T61 in which I've replaced the WiFi card to an Intel 3265 (which is NDIS 6.3 compatible). And it has a Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M graphics chip, which has a compatible WDDM 1.3 driver, released by Nvidia for 8.1 preview on the 29th of June.

But I can still not get miracast to work. The computer connects fine to the Netgear PTV3000... But there is no new projector added to the device list.

Is there anyone else with a Nvidia graphics chip that has gotten it to work? Or is it the Nvidia driver that doesn't support miracast yet?

//Peter Mattsson

I've had slight quirkiness with the PTV3000, requiring me to go to the Desktop > Settings > Control Panel > View devices and printers. In here I remove the device and re-add it.

If you need more help (open to anyone here), feel free to navigate to http://withinwindows.com and click Email Me at the top. :)

Saturday, July 06, 2013 5:55 PM

//Peter Mattsson

I've had slight quirkiness with the PTV3000, requiring me to go to the Desktop > Settings > Control Panel > View devices and printers. In here I remove the device and re-add it.

If you need more help (open to anyone here), feel free to navigate to http://withinwindows.com and click Email Me at the top. :)

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to help. I've tried to remove and readd the PTV3000 several times. And I still don't get any new projector in the device list. The PTV3000 device just disappears from the new (metro) device list, and I have to go to the old (desktop) device list to remove it.

There's another thing that's a little different for me as well. When I go to the "project" menu in the charms menu I already have all the project alternatives there. If I try to project to anything it adds a VGA screen to my resolution properties... even though I haven't got any screen connected to my VGA port. And if I connect a VGA screen to my VGA port I get an extended screen on it. I've have a feeling that this can have something to do with the problem.

The question is still if NVIDIAs new driver supports Miracast at all. I haven't been able to find anyone else with a NVIDA powered computer that have tried to connect to a miracast adapter.

//Peter Mattsson

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:14 AM

• Unfortunately this doesn't seem to help. I've tried to remove and readd the PTV3000 several times. And I still don't get any new projector in the device list. The PTV3000 device just disappears from the new (metro) device list, and I have to go to the old (desktop) device list to remove it.

There's another thing that's a little different for me as well. When I go to the "project" menu in the charms menu I already have all the project alternatives there. If I try to project to anything it adds a VGA screen to my resolution properties... even though I haven't got any screen connected to my VGA port. And if I connect a VGA screen to my VGA port I get an extended screen on it. I've have a feeling that this can have something to do with the problem.

The question is still if NVIDIAs new driver supports Miracast at all. I haven't been able to find anyone else with a NVIDA powered computer that have tried to connect to a miracast adapter.

//Peter Mattsson

Hmm, actually you might be right re: NVIDIA's 8.1 driver not supporting Miracast yet! Can you confirm that DxDiag > Save all information outputs a TXT file with "Miracast: Not Supported"?

Monday, July 08, 2013 9:56 AM
  • That's strange. I've installed the Nvidia 326.01 driver for Win 8.1 preview. But DxDiag reports the driver as a WDDM 1.2... The Miracast row says "Not applicable" (which ought to be correct if it's a WDDM 1.2 driver)

But isn't the 236.01 driver supposed to be a WDDM 1.3 driver?

Edit:
    It seems like not all drivers in the 326.01 update is WDDM 1.3.... That's too bad... It would have been awesome to be able to use Miracast.

Wounder if there is any way else to make it work ?...

//Peter Mattsson

Monday, July 08, 2013 12:59 PM
  • installed 8.1 last night hoping Miracast would be better performing on my Taichi/PTV3000 than Widi was.  

Taichi uses intel graphics 4000 and intel advanced 6235 wifi.  for the 6235 the newest available driver is 15.8.0.5 and 8.1 did not change that.  for the 4000 it updated the driver to 9.18.10.3222 (i think, all i remember for sure ATM is the ending "3222"). 

PTV3000 is updated to Netgear's 2.2.16.  I had one connect failure (after WPS entry failure to install device).  Second attempt installed device and connected, screen could not be resized to fit the tv and the audio was not enabled (i had to manually switch playback devices).  after that connection i have not been able to reconnect to the PTV3000.  I have not tried removing and reinstalling device yet, though.

(Slightly off topic) Intel's Widi app now runs but errors out shortly after seeing the PTV3000 via the "device discovery screen" stating something to the effect of "software is not correct and needs to be reinstalled"

Friday, July 19, 2013 3:20 PM
  • No, there should not be any driver requirements for the PC out of the box. If any - i.e. for the video card, Windows update for 8.1 preview should do it.

I use a 1 year old laptop with Intel CPU, Intel Chipset and an Intel wireless Centrino board. I.e. Wi-Di (thus now Miracast) compatible. BTW In case of Microsoft, Win 8.1. and Miracast (disregarding Wi-Di) guess using an Intel wireless board should not matter.

The video driver for Win 8.1. was just the package offered by Nividia over Windows update.

I tested with a LG Bluray player with a builtin Miracast receiver.

Additionally, for instructions on how to use: (ref: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b991ddf3-9e49-4117-ac8b-0348c0051eec/surface-pro-miracast)

This is a general answer - not just for Surface Pro:
    In case of Windows 8.1 - I do not know whether Microsoft did a more hardware independent implementation than Intel (WiDi 4 supported Miracast) ... but I can not see why Microsoft should restrict to only Intel components for general Play/PlayTo support in Windows 8.1. I.e. we just need a Wi-Fi Direct connection to carry the Miracast "signal".

So does Surface Pro or any other Win8.1 capable computer with Wireless LAN support Miracast? Guess so. Try it out.

1) Try turning on your Mirascast device, i.e. your remote display, smart blu-ray player, Miracast adapter etc.

2) Goto PC Settings > PC & Devices > Devices > Add a device (You can also go to Control Panel > Printer and Devices - and add it from here ... PC Settings seems better though ... more qualified info)

3) Your Miracast device should show by some name and as a type of Digitial Media Render, probably also stated as uncertified by Microsoft. Add it to your devices.

4) The Miracast device now registers under a (new) group "Play devices" in PC Settings > PC & Devices > Devices

5) Explorer > folder >video file > PlayTo > Your Miracast Device (note you can queue videos)

6) The video feed appears on the remote display. The picture of the video queue should appear on the display associated with the Digital Media Render (i.e. Miracast).

7) You can try a WinRT app. I.e. Video-minder og some other video app. Hit Win+K > Devices > Play > Your Miracast Device   In my case Play(To) did not work in WinRT yet. A temporary bug during preview of 8.1 I guess.

Regarding the Intel WiDi to Miracast legacy:

From a hardware point of view ... since Intel has adopted Miracast for WiDi 4 ... you need an Intel Integrated solution. Because your machine is Surface Pro - components are modern, i.e. new CPU, chipset and so on.

For Miracast-compatibility in Intel-based (WiDi) systems you need an Intel CPU, Chipset and an Intel WiFi chip.

• Proposed as answer by Computermensch Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:18 PM
    • Edited by Computermensch Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:24 PM fixed answer
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:18 PM
  • I'm afraid this is incorrect and should not be marked as an answer.

PlayTo support debuted in Windows 7 and uses DLNA -- not Miracast or WiFi Direct -- to send content to the receiver for rendering. This requires you to have a DLNA capable receiver that can render the content you send to it, which introduces codec and format compatibility headaches. It also requires you to be on the same network as the receiver.

The wireless display support in Windows 8.1 is based on Miracast and requires (at this time) Wi-Fi Direct (wireless driver) and Miracast (graphics driver) support. It doesn't require participation on a network and renders the media locally and sends the frames over. I've covered the requirements in my blog post and suggest you take a look.

Intel WiDi is an extension of Miracast features and has similar requirements but requires additional Intel support. Typically, any device that supports WiDi supports the simpler Miracast protocol.
    • Edited by WithinRafael Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:50 PM Added WiDi note
    Saturday, July 20, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hi

I have been trying Surface rt with 8.1 preview.

Have tried everything to get it to connect via Mira cast to a Panasonic DMS-MS10 with firmware 1.09 which is the latest.

Can connect with any other Mira cast client, Android Sumvision etc,   but Microsoft fails.  It does not add the device, it can see it, but fails to connect and therefore cannot be added.

Has anybody managed to connect using a Surface RT, is the code not finished yet,  or does it only work with a select amount of Mira cast receivers. If so, what is it compatible with, and where would I find this list.

Jim Prendergast

Sunday, August 04, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Hi

I have been trying Surface rt with 8.1 preview.

Have tried everything to get it to connect via Mira cast to a Panasonic DMS-MS10 with firmware 1.09 which is the latest.

Can connect with any other Mira cast client, Android Sumvision etc,   but Microsoft fails.  It does not add the device, it can see it, but fails to connect and therefore cannot be added.

Has anybody managed to connect using a Surface RT, is the code not finished yet,  or does it only work with a select amount of Mira cast receivers. If so, what is it compatible with, and where would I find this list.

Jim Prendergast

Hey Jim

Surface RT doesn't currently support Miracast -- the NVIDIA display driver for that platform is out of date. Perhaps with a bit of luck, Microsoft will push out updates when Windows 8.1 hits.

Monday, August 05, 2013 1:32 AM
  • I have tested Miracast with Netgear PTV3000 (firmware 2.2.16) in 5 different computers running Windows 8.1 Preview. Miracast works with Samsung Series 7 All-in-One PC, but not in other computers.

Are there any device or driver requirements for Miracast in Windows 8.1? I am trying to project (duplicate) my screen through Miracast.

- Samsung Series 7 All-in-One PC (DP700A3D-A01US): Adding PTV3000 works and I can project my screen through Miracast.

- Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch: Adding PTV3000 works partially (PIN code is asked), but new projector is not added to device list and projecting does not work.

- Samsung Series 7 Slate (XE700TA-H01SE): Adding PTV3000 works partially (PIN code is asked), but new projector is not added to device list and projecting does not work.

- Acer Iconia W510: Adding PTV3000 works partially (PIN code is asked), but new projector is not added to device list and projecting does not work.

- Lenovo Thinpad W520: Adding PTV3000 works partially (PIN code is asked), but new projector is not added to device list and projecting does not work.

I have also noticed, that after partial addition of PTV3000 Miracast device, I have to go to the "old" Device Manager to remove the device. In Samsung Series 7 All-in-One PC in can remove the PTV3000 Miracast device from the "new" PC & Devices / Devices menu.

If projection is active during the removal of the PTV3000 Miracast device, the removal gets stuck and I have to reboot my computer in order to remove the device. If I stop the projection first, the removal works. Perhaps Windows 8.1 could automatically stop the projection when I want to remove the Miracast device from my device list.

Hi. I m using surface pro and push2tv box, setup is fine however I m not able to play any sound/ from YouTube, spotify or Netflix, any suggestions? Kind regards Vlad
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 10:28 AM
  • Do we expect Intel HD Graphics 3000 to be supported with a Miracast driver in the future, or does that platform just not have enough horsepower to ever do Miracast streaming?

I recently bought a Chromecast from Google, and my old single-core laptop choked on streaming video to it from the Chrome browser, but my iPad Mini and my Android phone did YouTube and Netflix flawlessly even in HD. The video from my laptop was unwatchable, even in standard definition. Would a 2nd Gen Core i3 with Intel HD Graphics 3000 be significantly better for this? I am looking at a gently used Asus X55C laptop right now, and I wonder if it would be up to the task of wireless video streaming.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:26 PM