none
Creating a collection

Question

• I am trying to create a collection for all new imaged clients. Is there a way to set up a collection that all clients with %MINI% in the computer name will be added to that collection? 

Thank you.

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You may create a collection membership rule by NetBIOS of %MINI% instead of directly creating the query.

I am not very familar with WQL language. But the sytax you are using seems wrong.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:00 AM
  • WQL queries are very simple to use, which we call as SMS collection queries in SCCM. You can safely play with WQL on the "Queries" section of SCCM, and soon you will get practiced.

Create a new collection using the below query and limit it to your 'All Systems' collection.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType, 
    SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier, 
    SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup, 
    SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System 
    where SMS_R_System.Name like "%MINI%"

What bluerail replied is the steps/syntax to create the query on your own (not the exact query that you shd try).

~ Rajeesh M | My Tech Blog: ScorpITs | Please take a moment to 'Mark as Answer' and/or 'Vote as Helpful' on the post that helps you. It helps other community members reading the thread and recognizes useful contributions.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:39 AM

All replies

• Yes you can do that but I see that you posted this under the OSD forum, so my question is why do you want to do this?

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:52 AM
  • Hi There,

Yes it is possible, All you need is a dynamic collection-Query based,

SCCM 2007,

Go to Collections -> new collection -> Give a collection name -> check Dynamically add new resources -> and then import the below query into it. This will solve your problem..

"SELECT SYSTEM_DESCRIPTION, MACHINE.NAME AS SYSTEM_NAME  FROM MACHINE  WHERE (MACHINE.NAME like '%MINI%')  ORDER BY SYSTEM_DESCRIPTION"

This Query will search for the word MINI and adds it into the collection.

Cheers!-

bluerail

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:21 PM
  • I am creating a new image, and would like to see all new clients with %MINI% in the computer name added to a new collection. Instead of looking for it in "all systems".

Or any other constant word in the name that i will assign to OSDComputerName to identify new test clients.

Can you please help on how this can be done?

Thanks.

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:22 PM
  • I am creating a new image, and would like to see all new clients with %MINI% in the computer name added to a new collection. Instead of looking for it in "all systems".

Or any other constant word in the name that i will assign to OSDComputerName to identify new test clients.

Can you please help on how this can be done?

Thanks.

As stated, after the collection setup set the polling schedule as per your convenient say end of the day, on this basis whenever a new machine comes into SCCM DB with the word %MINI% in it, it will be automatically updated in the collection.

bluerail

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:32 PM
  • Thanks for the help. But i am getting an error when i am trying to save a query:

This query has a syntax error:

"SELECT SYSTEM_DESCRIPTION, MACHINE.NAME AS SYSTEM_NAME  FROM MACHINE  WHERE (MACHINE.NAME like '%MINI%')  ORDER BY SYSTEM_DESCRIPTION

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Not sure where that query cam from, but it isn't for the ConfigMgr schema.

Just use the Query builder and in the Condition tab chose "System Resource" for the class name, "Name" for the attribute, and then type in %mini% for the condition.

Also, why use a collection for this? Collections are typically to target activity, if all you are doing is viewing data, you should use a query.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

You may create a collection membership rule by NetBIOS of %MINI% instead of directly creating the query.

I am not very familar with WQL language. But the sytax you are using seems wrong.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 3:00 AM
  • WQL queries are very simple to use, which we call as SMS collection queries in SCCM. You can safely play with WQL on the "Queries" section of SCCM, and soon you will get practiced.

Create a new collection using the below query and limit it to your 'All Systems' collection.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType, 
    SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier, 
    SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup, 
    SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System 
    where SMS_R_System.Name like "%MINI%"

What bluerail replied is the steps/syntax to create the query on your own (not the exact query that you shd try).

~ Rajeesh M | My Tech Blog: ScorpITs | Please take a moment to 'Mark as Answer' and/or 'Vote as Helpful' on the post that helps you. It helps other community members reading the thread and recognizes useful contributions.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:39 AM