none
Trouble binding to Server 2008R2 with certain appliences

Question

• I hope I am asking this in the correct forum... Apologies if it is not. 

Our Active Directory environment is a mix of Server 2003 and Server 2008R2. I am in the process of phasing out the 2003 servers now. 

With that I am going through all our servers to make sure they are setup to look at the new domain controllers. I am having issues getting a few of them to bind to the 2008R2 servers. The two most recent ones I am dealing with are both Linux based servers (Nexenta and OwnCloud).

They both connect to the 2003 domain controllers perfectly but will not connect to the 2008R2 servers at all. 

The 2008R2 installations are pretty much defaults all the way through. 

I am not sure what kind of information is needed to troubleshoot. I realize tons of stuff changed from 2003 to 2008R2 but I was wondering if there was something that maybe I don't have set right to allow these types of appliances to bind to 2008R2.

Thanks in advance. 

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:09 PM

All replies

• Do you mean that you have 2 domain controllers, and now you would like to demote the Windows 2003 DC?  You can refer to the below KB to remove a DC from the domain.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc740017(v=WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771844(v=WS.10).aspx

With that I am going through all our servers to make sure they are setup to look at the new domain controllers. I am having issues getting a few of them to bind to the 2008R2 servers. The two most recent ones I am dealing with are both Linux based servers (Nexenta and OwnCloud).

They both connect to the 2003 domain controllers perfectly but will not connect to the 2008R2 servers at all. 

I dont get this. As the Windows 2003 DC is about to be retuired, the WIndows 2008R2 DC is the only DC in the domain. Please elaborate so we can understand your query.

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:49 AM
  • What do you mean by "bind" these appliances ?

Assure that, new DC IP is used as primary DNS IP on Linux and Mac appliances.

Thanks ! Jayawardhane

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Hello,

"...both Linux based servers (Nexenta and OwnCloud)."

As this belongs to NOT Microsoft software/devices please understand that the vendors are responsible for support and how to connect them.

Maybe Network Monitor may help you to find blocked but required ports within the by default enabled Windows firewall on the new OS servers.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:00 AM
  • Hi, any update on this post?

TechNet Subscriber Support |If you have any feedback on Technet forum, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 4:32 AM