none
Power BI - We were unable to load the site

Question

• Hi,

Just provisioned my Power BI preview site, all went OK with no errors, following video provisioning instructions.

When I try to access Power BI under site contents, I'm first seeing the "Loading SharePoint Document Libraries" message followed by "We were unable to load the site, refresh the page to try again".

I've tried this on the top-level team site and also created a sub-site under this, then an entirely new site collection and all give the same message.   All using IE10.

I've seen other messages reporting the same error but no definitive reason as to why it is happening.  Can someone advise please?  it is a service issue or something wrong with the tenant?

Thanks

Derek 

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Derek,

The issue you describe does happen occasionally and we are looking into ways to solve this completely. This is usually solved by reloading the page but it your case it seems to be a persistent one.

Please send the name of your tenant + username and UTC time for the last time the issue happened to  powerbifn@microsoft.com and we will look into this.

BTW you mention above that you see a "Fix It" message in your browser. Do you see it every time you access Power BI? Did you by any chance add Power BI site or your SPO site to browser's Trusted sites?

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience,

Olga

Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:18 PM
    Owner
  • After several email exchanges with the Power BI dev team my I seem to be back in business and Power BI is working.  In the end a full reset of my IE 10 settings made the error go away, so I guess if anyone else has the issue that's what I would recommend trying first.

Derek

• Marked as answer by workerthread Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:05 PM

All replies

• seems there is some temp issue of the site, i can't load that page either, while i could a few hours ago.

So probably you may try again some time later. In the mean time you may try other features.

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:29 PM
  • I can open the page now. Could you try again?

Friday, September 06, 2013 2:35 PM
  • Still not working for me.

I also tried same site in Chrome which goes into a "working on it" loop from which it never recovers.

The other Power BI management link seem to be OK.

I will try again later

Derek

Friday, September 06, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi Derek,

Have you tried to reload (F5) the page when you see "We were unable ..." message?

What country you choose when created your Power BI tenant? And is this the same country you are currently in?

Thanks,

Olga

Friday, September 06, 2013 5:27 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Olga

I tried F5 several times, no success, also tried the fix it message which the browser displayed, also no use.

I chose United Kingdom when creating the tenant and that is where I'm located.

Any other suggestions?  I have noticed some other reports of same issue on this forum but can't see any definitive solutions.

Thanks

Derek

Friday, September 06, 2013 9:16 PM
  • Well I did briefly manage to get Power BI working in IE10 this morning and was able to upload a test file with Power View pages viewable.   Note that I haven't made any other changes since yesterday.

This didn't last however and now I'm back to seeing the "We were unable to load the site, refresh the page to try again" message.  I can now see Power BI on the site quick launch which must have happened when Power BI worked for a while.

The file I uploaded during the brief period of operation is visible in the documents library and I can open this in Excel Web App and view the Power View pages without problem.

So why would Power BI only work for a short time this morning and now be failing again?

And am I the only Power BI preview user experiencing this?

Thanks

Derek

Saturday, September 07, 2013 12:44 PM
  • Hi Derek,

The issue you describe does happen occasionally and we are looking into ways to solve this completely. This is usually solved by reloading the page but it your case it seems to be a persistent one.

Please send the name of your tenant + username and UTC time for the last time the issue happened to  powerbifn@microsoft.com and we will look into this.

BTW you mention above that you see a "Fix It" message in your browser. Do you see it every time you access Power BI? Did you by any chance add Power BI site or your SPO site to browser's Trusted sites?

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience,

Olga

Saturday, September 07, 2013 5:18 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Olga

I've emailed the requested details this morning.   

In answer to other questions:

• The “fix it” message  only appears sometimes, not every time I access Power BI
    • I had not added the sites to my trusted sites, but did do so this morning and re-tried, and this made no difference, still getting same error

Thanks

Derek

Monday, September 09, 2013 10:59 AM
  • After several email exchanges with the Power BI dev team my I seem to be back in business and Power BI is working.  In the end a full reset of my IE 10 settings made the error go away, so I guess if anyone else has the issue that's what I would recommend trying first.

Derek

• Marked as answer by workerthread Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:05 PM