none
How to backup Server 2012 Hyper V to external USB

Question

• Hi All,

What is the best way to backup a Server 2012 Hyper v host and VMs? I would like to back these up to 2 external USB drives that will alternated daily.

Any help appreciated

Kind regards

Shane

Monday, July 08, 2013 11:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi All,

What is the best way to backup a Server 2012 Hyper v host and VMs? I would like to back these up to 2 external USB drives that will alternated daily.

Any help appreciated

Kind regards

Shane

For a VM backup there's a bunch of a companies having a good products including free ones. Check VEEAM (obvious leader), Altaro, ArCycle, Symantec etc. For a host backup you need something capable of a bare metal backup and recovery. Check Paragon and Acronis. You may end up with a single vendor doing backup for both host and VMs, different ones and so on. I'd personally look @ VEEAM for a VM backup and skip doing host backup @ all as fresh Hyper-V installation will take the same amount of time as bare metal recovery. IMHO of course.

StarWind iSCSI SAN & NAS

Monday, July 08, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Hi All,

Any help appreciated

Kind regards

Shane

We use Storage Craft. Very good product.

you can pre convert the backup file to a VHD, so should the server not boot, the last backup can be ready in seconds. incremental backup is a very nice feature.

James.

Monday, July 08, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Please let us know if there is any progress.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 5:19 PM
  • Hi All,

Any help appreciated

Kind regards

Shane

For a VM backup there's a bunch of a companies having a good products including free ones. Check VEEAM (obvious leader), Altaro, ArCycle, Symantec etc. For a host backup you need something capable of a bare metal backup and recovery. Check Paragon and Acronis. You may end up with a single vendor doing backup for both host and VMs, different ones and so on. I'd personally look @ VEEAM for a VM backup and skip doing host backup @ all as fresh Hyper-V installation will take the same amount of time as bare metal recovery. IMHO of course.

VR38DETT is correct. You can backup your Hyper-V VMs with the free edition of Veeam Backup which is built specifically for virtualization. It has no limitations on the number of VMs and no expiration date. Veeam Backup Free provides only a subset of the functionality of the paid version, but it's enough for day-to-day VM management. 

Just install Veeam Backup Free, add your Hyper-V host to it, then choose your VMs, right click and select VeeamZIP, specify the destination (your USB drive) and click OK. That's all. Veeam will compress the backup file, so it should take less space on your storage.

Veeam cannot backup your host if it's not virtualized.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:30 AM
  • With regards to Virtual Machines backup, I’m also along the same line with those who recommend using VeeamZIP.

Use it from time to time, whenever there is a need for performing one-time backup, or the source host isn’t covered with VB&R license.

Generally speaking, it’s a zip utility for Virtual Machines. VeeamZIP is similar to full VM backup. Nevertheless, when you perform backup with VeeamZIP, there is no need to configure a backup job and schedule it; instead, the backup process for selected VMs can be started immediately. Minimum settings are required during this type of backup: backup destination, compression level and enabling or disabling guest quiescing.

As mentioned, all you need to do, select a required VM, VeeamZIP to specified USB drive.

Kind regards, Leonardo.

Friday, August 02, 2013 10:44 AM