none
Recovery points after Retention Range expiry time

Question

• Hello Professionals,

What will the status of Recovery Points after the expiry period (time interval) of Retention Range. For example, if  I have retention range of 7 days will old recovery points  be available or  be overwritten.  

Folks !!! I would like to know the difference between retention range and recovery point. Please share some conceptual overview of Retention range.

Regards,

AbuYasir

Friday, June 13, 2014 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Recovery points are "point in time" backups of the protected data source. This recovery point can be disk, tape, or online based.  A recovery point is recoverable under the DPM recovery panel in the GUI.

Retention period is the length of time you want DPM to retain that point in time recovery point.

Disk and Online based recovery points get deleted once expired and free up disk space for new recovery points.

Tape based recovery points expire after the retention period is passed, and will be overwritten after all recovery points on that tape expire and the tape shows expired in the library.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 13, 2014 5:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Recovery points are "point in time" backups of the protected data source. This recovery point can be disk, tape, or online based.  A recovery point is recoverable under the DPM recovery panel in the GUI.

Retention period is the length of time you want DPM to retain that point in time recovery point.

Disk and Online based recovery points get deleted once expired and free up disk space for new recovery points.

Tape based recovery points expire after the retention period is passed, and will be overwritten after all recovery points on that tape expire and the tape shows expired in the library.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 13, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Thanks Mike !!!

Fast reply is the beauty of Microsoft Forums.

Dear Mike !!! I was doing a lab and i have kept my rentention range of 1 day.  But after completion of one day I am able to still find recovery points of yesterday. I think it should not be available after completion of 24 hours.

I would like to confirm from you that the recovery points should fade away once retention range is expired.

Regards,

abuyasir

Saturday, June 14, 2014 1:04 PM
  • HI,

For disk based recovery points, the day-1 recovery point will not expire until a new recovery point is made. That is because the number days you asked for was 1 day, and if we expired the only recovery point you would have zero days. Disk based backups get pruned at midnight.

For tape based backups, even though the recovery point expired - it's still available on tape - so it's  shown in the calendar as a recovery point - however if you try to restore from that expired recovery point you will get an error stating it's expired.  To really recover from that tape, you would need to wait for the tape to expire, then mark that tape as free, unmark it free, then re-catalog the tape.  At that time, the recovery point will show under the EXTERNAL DPM TAPES tree for you to select and recover from. 

Once the expired / free tape is reused for a new backup, then all recovery points on that tape will be removed from the calendar since no old recovery points are available to restore from.

Saturday, June 14, 2014 10:02 PM
  • Thanks  dear mike !!! Keep your good work going!!! 
    Sunday, June 15, 2014 9:30 PM