none
SSRS 2008 - Hidden column Group header disappears

Question

• Hello,

I have a matrix in a report with several row groups and one column group.  I went into the column group properties and set the column group to hidden, and a toggle on the column to the left of the group.

When I collapsed the column group (toggle to "hidden"), I was surprised to find that the column group is not hidden, but rather collapsed into a single column.  While this behavior was not what I was initially looking for, it is acceptable to do this. 

However, the issue I have is when the column group is expanded, the headers (S, M, L, XL, etc) are visible in the report.  When I collapse the column group, the header disappears (it is blank).  What I am wondering is if there is a way for me to specify a header value when the column group is collapsed?

Attaching two screenshots I hope will show what I mean.  Initial state is Expanded, when it is collapsed there is no value in the Header cell.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Bostaevski,

From your description, I understand that you want to show the column header when collapsing the column group of a matrix, and I can reproduce the issue. In fact, the behavior that the column header will disappear when collapsing the column group is by design. As a workaround, I suggest to add a column in the matrix, and then add the column header to achieve the goal. Please see the following steps:

1. Add a column outside the column group in your matrix.
    2. Type the expression in the data area of the column to like: =Sum(Fields!SalesAmount.Value), and custom the text in the column header.

According to the test, I can obtain the screenshot below:

If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Friday, September 06, 2013 4:22 AM
  • Hi Bostaevski,

Thanks for your post. According to my test, it won’t show the duplicate Total column when collapsing the column group. Please see the following screenshots which display the structure of the report:

1. Design the matrix in the report:

2. Expand the column group:

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Bostaevski,

From your description, I understand that you want to show the column header when collapsing the column group of a matrix, and I can reproduce the issue. In fact, the behavior that the column header will disappear when collapsing the column group is by design. As a workaround, I suggest to add a column in the matrix, and then add the column header to achieve the goal. Please see the following steps:

1. Add a column outside the column group in your matrix.
    2. Type the expression in the data area of the column to like: =Sum(Fields!SalesAmount.Value), and custom the text in the column header.

According to the test, I can obtain the screenshot below:

If you still have any question, please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Friday, September 06, 2013 4:22 AM
  • Thanks Heidi,

But wouldn't this give you two columns with the same values?  You would have the column you added outside the column group showing totals, but you'd also have the collapsed column group showing the same totals.  The only difference is the existing collapsed column group has no header text while the new column does.

Monday, September 09, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Hi Bostaevski,

Thanks for your post. According to my test, it won’t show the duplicate Total column when collapsing the column group. Please see the following screenshots which display the structure of the report:

1. Design the matrix in the report:

2. Expand the column group:

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:12 AM
  • Thanks Heidi,

I could swear I was seeing different behavior before, but now that I tested it you are correct.  I don't know how it knows to hide the entire group when a column exists outside that group but... it works!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:25 PM