none
Permissions appear as inheriting from parent, but permission is not set on parent

Question

• I have a folder on my File server where I keep all my user's personal network shares. Each user has a folder within this share, which they have individual permissions to. 

I noticed yesterday that a few user folders have a some permissions set on them that are listed as inheriting from the parent folder. The Parent folder does not have these permissions set. It is not every child folder only some random ones.

I did some looking but the only thing I have been able to find is when you move folders within Vista (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320246) but I have not moved folders, nor is this Vista.

Environment:

Windows 2008 R2 Failover File Server Cluster with 2 nodes. 

Parent folder is Shared, all users access their personal folders from the parent. Access Based Enumeration is enabled on the share. Each user has Read/Write permissions to their own folder, but not Change Permissions, We also specifically unset the Delete permission but set the Delete subfolders and files. This prevents them from accidentally deleting their folder.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I cannot just blow away permissions and reset everything from the parent, There are some folders that multiple users have access to, then some sub folders that have even more odd permissions set that forcing inheritance down would destroy. 

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:03 PM

Answers

All replies