none
How to revive exchange from dead SBS 2003?

Question

• I had a SBS 2003 that was running Exchange and had a hardware issue (dead motherboard) and the server died.  Luckily, I was able to preserve the data from backups and from the actual hard drive.

I've since replaced everything and now have a virtual machine running with SBS 2003 installed.  Pretty much exact replica of my dead physical server.

I'm trying to re-setup the exchange so I can grab all the public folders.  I have copied (from the physical drive), the entire C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA to a temp folder c:\exchange to my vm machine.

I'm not too sure on how to mount the priv1.edb and pub1.edb.  I have the *.stm and all the *.log files intact too.  However, right now, the priv1.edb is in a dirty shutdown mode (eseutil /mh).  My first would be to get it back into a clean shutdown.  My 2nd would be to get this mounted so I can load up outlook and see what's in the public folders (and maybe some users' mailboxes) so I an export data.

Any ideas on where to start w/this?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Monday, August 26, 2013 1:59 AM

Answers

• One way to get this back would be if you can access the actual drives.  Once you can access them you can backup with Shadow Protect from Storage Craft, then restore to new/different hardware with that product's Hardware Independent Restore feature.  I have done this a number of times and it works well.  They have had 3 day trials on their website from time to time so I would have a look.  But even if you had to pay for it, it is a good tool.

http://www.shadowprotect.com/shadowprotect-backup-software-downloads

I just looked, they now offer short time licenses which may be all you need.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:59 PM

All replies

• For an offline exchange recovery see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296788

You'll need to put the exchange DB files in the exact same locations as the original.  I assume your recovered SBS2003 is based on a backup of the old one so it has the same security SID's?  It may not work otherwise as the domain won't be identical.

-- Al

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:31 PM
  • I know I don't have the same SID's - but what I do have is the actual hard drive that has the OS, exchange, user accounts - everything.  It's the entire C: drive (C: Drive was the only drive in the server).  So yea, I have the actual physical hard drive right here in front of me.  And as I mentioned, I have built a vm machine exact replica of the dead sever - at least the enviornment.  Maybe I should do a physical to virtual conversion.  I wonder if that would work...

but right now, i'm going to copy all the files into the same exact place where they were....and read the link you sent me.

Thanks

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:26 PM
  • One way to get this back would be if you can access the actual drives.  Once you can access them you can backup with Shadow Protect from Storage Craft, then restore to new/different hardware with that product's Hardware Independent Restore feature.  I have done this a number of times and it works well.  They have had 3 day trials on their website from time to time so I would have a look.  But even if you had to pay for it, it is a good tool.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] If your question is answered, please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:59 PM

I do have the actual physical drive right here in front of me.  I did get the software and made a backup of the entire hard drive (then copied that backup elsewhere for safe keeping).  I took the backup and converted it to the vmdk for a virtual hard disk.  Of course, when I load it up and start my vm machine, it gives me hardware errors.  Shadowprotect does have this recovery enviornment tool, but I have no idea how to use that.  I'm going to have to jump over to their forums to figure out how to use it.  But now that I have a nice solid backup of the physical hard drive - can you elaborate on "Hardware Independent Restore feature" - I don't understand that portion.  Didn't anything like that in the software.  Btw, the software I did download was just the shadowprotect...

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Look again on the download page.  I saw a message that there were no trials of the HIR product, but there are short term licenses.  If this is critical to the org, and depending on what they charge, it may be the easiest way.

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:48 AM