Win 8.1 RTM Slow Startup thanks to Network List Service

Question

• Since upgrading from Win 8 to Win8.1 (RTM) my laptop takes 20 minutes to startup. I've tracked the problem down to 4 x 2Gb files being generated in the C:\Windows\System32\networklist\icons folder. The files are {long hex filename}_16.bin, _24.bin, _32.bin and _48.bin. I guess these should be icon files and all the others in the folder are under 10KB.

The files are deleted and recreated on each reboot.

The files are being generated by netprofm.dll (the Network List Service). Despite this service being disabled it somehow runs on each reboot and generates these four huge files which uses 100% disk causing the machine to be unusable for 15-20 minutes.

1) Where do I report this bug to the Windows 8.1 team? Connect does not seem to be accepting bugs for Win 8.1.

2) Any idea how I fix it?

Andrew

Thursday, September 26, 2013 3:17 PM

Answers

• I have a solution thanks to Chad from The Defrag Tools on Channel 9. I found that I had two registry keys below HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures. One of the sub-keys had really long hex entries for Icon16/Icon24/Icon32/Icon48 (in total over 35,000 HEX characters). I exported the sub-keys and deleted them along with the four 2Gb files in C:\Windows\System32\networklist\icons. I'm pleased to report that normal reboot times have returned and the 4x2Gb files are not recreated. Please let me know if it fixes your problem.

Andrew

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• Darren, Thanks for your reply. You will notice I've already seen and commented on that thread. Unfortunately it's of no help as it does not provide a solution, although it points to other threads which also fail to mention a fix.

Andrew

Thursday, September 26, 2013 7:57 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, as my networks load way after start-up and this makes my computer hang for around 5 minutes.

I think I'm having the same problem....
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Do you also find the four 2Gb files in the C:\Windows\System32\networklist\icons folder?

Andrew

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Yes ,I also find that four files...andrew
    Thursday, October 03, 2013 4:40 PM
  • I've asked this Microsoft and when I get an answer I'll report back.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, October 03, 2013 6:01 PM
  • I have also found that nothing happens when I right click on a network on the Network Bar (If that's what it is called). I wonder if this is connected. I'd be really interested if they come up with a solution.

Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:02 PM
  • I have a solution thanks to Chad from The Defrag Tools on Channel 9. I found that I had two registry keys below HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures. One of the sub-keys had really long hex entries for Icon16/Icon24/Icon32/Icon48 (in total over 35,000 HEX characters). I exported the sub-keys and deleted them along with the four 2Gb files in C:\Windows\System32\networklist\icons. I'm pleased to report that normal reboot times have returned and the 4x2Gb files are not recreated. Please let me know if it fixes your problem.

Andrew

Monday, October 07, 2013 8:22 PM
  • nice, I wrote it to Gov from Defrag show, but never got an answer. Nice to hear that you fixed it :) Mark it as answer please.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:06 AM
  • It also worked for me..!!!!

I'm very happy to see that...!!!!

Thank you very much Andrew!!

Tuesday, October 08, 2013 5:07 PM