none
MDT Error - Storage Control Block Address is Invalid

Question

• I am trying a simple sysprep and capture task sequence, but when it goes to create the WIM, it errors and says "The Storage Control Block Address is Invalid.  Failture to create WIM."

My BackupShare variable is correct in my CustomSettings.ini file.  Any ideas?

Tuesday, March 08, 2011 8:01 PM

Answers

• Figured out what the problem was.  Somebody had changed our ComputerBackupLocation variable from NETWORK to %NameofOurCompanyNetwork%.net....  Not sure why that was even touched, let alone changed to that.

Now to find out whodunnit.  :)

Thanks to all who responded.

• Marked as answer by ther0under Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• A lot of times this is the result of a hardware problem.  I would check is that the hard drive and controller where you are trying to save your WIM to is not logging errors.
    Z
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 10:44 PM
  • I'm saving the WIM to a VM, so I think I'm safe there. Could it be my reference computer that I'm capturing that is the problem? 
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 10:51 PM
  • You should use a VM also to create the reference image, never use a physical machine.

/ Johan

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:04 AM
  • You should use a VM also to create the reference image, never use a physical machine.

/ Johan

Ok, good to know, but even when I try this on a VM, it still errors.  Here's the full error:

ZTI ERROR - Unhandled error returned by ZTIBackup: Subscript out of range (9)
    Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005

Messages from the tasks sequence engine:

Failed to run the action: Create WIM.
    The storage control block address is invalid (Error: 00000009; Source: Windows)
    The execution of the group Capture Image has failed and the execution has been aborted.  An action failed.
    Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)
    Failed to run the last action: Create WIM.  Execution of task sequence failed.
    The storage control block address is invalid.
    Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Figured out what the problem was.  Somebody had changed our ComputerBackupLocation variable from NETWORK to %NameofOurCompanyNetwork%.net....  Not sure why that was even touched, let alone changed to that.

Now to find out whodunnit.  :)

Thanks to all who responded.

• Marked as answer by ther0under Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 09, 2011 5:12 PM