none
port 10000 listening but not opening in windows 2000 sp4

Question

• Hi

In one windows server 2000 sp4(10.157.50.15), ossv application is running for the backup of this server to the storage end.

Here OSSV operates on NDMP protocol which needs port 10000 to be open in both the storage end and the server end.

Telnetting to the storage end with port 10000 opens in it.Whereas telnetting inbound to port 10000 of the windows server from outside to it is giving the error as below

netstat -an |find /i "listening" shows that port 10000 is in listening state

Due to this problem ossv backup is not happening. Help in this regard

Thanks & Regards S.Swaminathan Live & let others live!!!

• Edited by TECHSHAN Friday, August 16, 2013 8:02 PM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Susie

Thanks a lot for your suggestion; and it is installed with OSSV 2.6.1 which is only compatible with windows 2000 operating system

I have checked with the same issue in another windows 2000 server too having same hardware configuration  but got solved the issue by network team configuring port 10000 bidrectional in the firewall between the source filer and the secondary storage.

After comparing these two servers for the dissimilarities in software only then I found that this is the only possibility of firewall policy lacking in ISA Server present in this server

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:22 PM

All replies

• Disable firewall

http://www.ehow.com/how_6352673_disable-windows-2000-firewall.html

Спасибо! | Please ignore typo errors ;-)

Saturday, August 17, 2013 4:41 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your reply and it is already disabled as below

How to check whether this port is actively listening or inactive?

Saturday, August 17, 2013 6:09 AM
  • Hi all

Port status can be checked only on the next reboot of the server I will update another finding in the server tomorrow

• Edited by TECHSHAN Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:14 PM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 10:13 AM
  • Hi

It has been found that there is an ISA Server configured in the same windows 2000 in which there is no rule configured for OSSV traffic.

Sunday, August 18, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, OSSV hosts listen for communications from Protection Manager on port 10000 by default. Any firewalls need to have this port opened. However, this port can be modified during the installation of the OSSV software. Please make sure you haven’t changed it.

Furthermore, I recommend you check if the version of OSSV is compatible with your Operate System. As it’s related to the third-party software, you can also contact the vendor of OSSV for more assistance.

Best Regards,

Susie

Monday, August 19, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Hi Susie

Thanks a lot for your suggestion; and it is installed with OSSV 2.6.1 which is only compatible with windows 2000 operating system

I have checked with the same issue in another windows 2000 server too having same hardware configuration  but got solved the issue by network team configuring port 10000 bidrectional in the firewall between the source filer and the secondary storage.

After comparing these two servers for the dissimilarities in software only then I found that this is the only possibility of firewall policy lacking in ISA Server present in this server

Monday, August 19, 2013 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply and it's my pleasure to help you. 

Have you solved this issue?

If yes, I hope you can share the detailed troubleshooting steps as it would be helpful to someone who has similar issues.

Thanks,

Susie

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:43 AM