none
How to merge two server disk volume quotas into a single server

Question

• Dear Friends,

I've two separate servers which have F:\ drive where users folder will be present and it i've created quotas for each user using FSRM. Now i have planned to move both the users folder to F:\ drive a single server. Is it possible to restore quotas of both the servers into a single server? i have tried to copy F:\System Volume Information\SRM folder from both the servers but in both the servers, F:\System Volume Information\SRM folder contains Quotas.xml and Quotas.md files. Please help me to migrate the quotas.

Regards,

Jay

Jay :)

Sunday, October 06, 2013 6:50 AM

All replies

• You don't have to copy those files, but make sure that you copy the owner information when you copy the files and folders from server1 to server2, you can user xcopy or robocopy.
    Monday, October 07, 2013 8:50 AM
  • How can i copy the data in Quotas.md to server3 which is the actual Quota database for the users in server1? Because i have already copied Quotas.md file of server2 to server3. Please suggest me.

Monday, October 07, 2013 12:11 PM
  • I don't know there's a way to do that, unless you have something that you can merge the data of the two file, why don't you just let server3 rebuild the quota data? it should rebuild all the quota info if you copy all the attribute.
    Monday, October 07, 2013 6:04 PM
  • "I don't know there's a way to do that, unless you have something that you can merge the data of the two file" - I'm eagerly seeking for this kind of solution.

We got 150 users in server1 and 100 users in server2. So what i did was, copied the database file from Server1 to Server3 so that the quotas of Server1 can be listed in FSRM automatically and I've created the quotas manually for 100users of Server2 and we have spent around 1 hour for this.

And i think if we copy the attributes, the Quotas will not get rebuild. All we need is that Quotas.md and Quotas.xml file to be merged with the existing one.

Please advise.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:13 AM
  • As others Chaen said, why not just rebuild the quotas on the new server? Do you have that many different levels of quotas?

Which versions of Windows are you using, are they even compatible to just copy the files?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Even if you are not the author of a thread you can always help others by voting as Helpful. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Oscar Virot

Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:15 AM
  • As i told, i have spent around 1 hour to create the quotas manually for the Server2 users. We are using server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition. The FSRM will recognize the quotas if the file name is like Quotas.xml & Quotas.md. We cannot have two files in same name and same format in the same folder right....?

Server1____________________________________________________________Server2

[Quotas.xml and Quotas.md]___________________________[Quotas.xml and Quotas.md]

This both of them need to be merged in the F:\System Volume Information\ of Server3 to retain the quotas of both the servers.

I'm seeking for help here to minimize the time to be spent if this case happens again. Please help me Oscar Virot.

• Edited by Jay Smiley Friday, October 18, 2013 6:23 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, you could use robocopy to transfer FSRM Quotas from server1 to server3, for detailed information, you could refer to the thread below:

FSRM: Export Quota to a new Server
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/24a452be-cce8-4f92-9919-36f1bc93807a/fsrm-export-quota-to-a-new-server?forum=winserverfiles

As any new Quota Configuration (that was implemented manually on the target volume using FSRM) will not be effective as it will be replaced by the old Quota Configuration. And there is no method or tool available to merge the OLD and NEW QUOTA.MD files / configuration.

For the FSRM Quotas on server2, I think you will just rebuild the quotas on the server 3.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, October 25, 2013 3:09 AM
  • Yes, that was what i have done actually. But i have opened this forum to merge the files so that we can save manual work time. Many thanks to all the friends for sharing the information :)

Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:50 AM