none
Dell XPS's run new user setup again after an unknown time frame.

General discussion

• Hi,

We have 2 clients using Dell xps's with Windows 8,  both notebooks have had almost all the bloated dell applications removed. I say almost all as the Dell update service is still present on the notebooks. After an unknown period of time(approx. 14-20 days) the notebook will run the new user experience again during power up. After going through the long and drawn out new user setup again the user is back to there original desktop. They have also informed us that powering off the notebook during this phase will sometimes allow them to logon as normal.

Is it possible that UEFI secure boot could be the cause?

• Edited by tas7330 Monday, September 02, 2013 5:20 AM
    • Changed type Niki HanModerator Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:24 AM
    Monday, September 02, 2013 4:45 AM

All replies

• I would like to confirm if “new user setup” means user enter into OOBE again. If yes, I suspect your applications or task scheduler configured PC likes sysprep. Please check the program which are installed on your PC.

Based on my knowledge, UEFI secure boot is not related to that phenomenon.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hi Niki, The notebooks enter into a new user setup as they would for any additional new users after completing the oobe. It would appear after further discussion that there is no set pattern as to when this happens. They are both attached to Targus docking stations that have also caused quite a few headaches. Thanks
    • Edited by tas7330 Saturday, September 07, 2013 1:58 AM
    Saturday, September 07, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Maybe put it in the too hard basket!!
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:11 AM