none
Question about the unknown status in patch compliance reports

Question

•  

When looking at the patch compliance reports there are basically 4 columns - installed, required, not required and unknown.

Over the past few few months I have noticed that the number of 'unknowns' I am seeing is inconsistant.

For example, at present, looking at July's security updates on my workstation collection, I am seeing that for most patches the compliance state of 92 machines is unknown.

However, for 4 patches, this figure varies between 145 and 235.

The only common link I can see between these 4 patches is that they are targeted at operating systems other than Windows XP - 3 are targeted at Windows Server 2003 and 1 at Windows 2000.

However, not all patches targeted at Windows Server 2003 are showing a high number of unknowns.   Those target at Windows Server 2003 x64 or Windows Server 2003 Itanium edition are showing the standard 92 unknowns.

Can anyone explain why I am seeing these results.

TIA

Laurence

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:29 PM

All replies

• Yes, I know this is an old post, I’m trying to clean them up.

This is normal to see inconstant results between SU. This is due to the fact that PCs are turn on and off all the time and that the SU scan cycle occur at different time.

Overtime you will see that old SU will slowly show the same number for unknown. This is because you are cleaning up your CM database of old PCs and that older PCs have since scanned and returned results for that SU.

Overall you should be trying to determine why you have so many unknown PCs, this is likely due to unhealthy PCs or that the CM07 client is not installed on these PCs. Either way you should take some time to clear then up.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:12 PM