none
New 2012 KMS server

Question

• I was able to install Office 2010, 2013, and Server 2012 KMS keys on the s2012 server but how do I install the 2008 R2 KMS key on 2012? Im getting an error trying to install it.

Is there something special I need to do?

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

for Windows KMS, you only can have a single Windows KMShost product key on a single KMShost.
    This is why it's important to choose the correct key :)
    Windows KMShost pkeys, when loaded onto a WindowsServer OS, will issue activations for all editions and versions at the loaded level and also below that level, including Client editions (eg Vista/Win7/Win8).

So, if you have loaded the WS2012 KMShost pkey, you can activate everything below that.

It is not possible (nor necessary) to load more than one Windows KMShost pkey on a KMShost.

Also, the KMShost pkey chosen, must match the OS of the KMShost machine, i.e., you can't load a Win8 KMShost pkey onto a WS2012 machine.

Office KMShost pkeys are very different to Windows KMShost pkeys. Office KMShosts are version-specific, and do not activate down-version clients.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, June 29, 2013 6:46 AM