none
No software listed in Collection Queries

Question

• I can't seem to find the right answer to this.  I am trying to create a collection based off a software version.  I see many examples of the query but something in my setup is obviously not working right.

I have Asset Intelligence enabled.
    I'm pretty sure I'm collecting the right data.
    I can run reports.
    I have modified client settings for hardware classes to allow "Installed Software and Executable -  Asset Intelligence" settings.

The collection queries do not show software.

Please tell me what I am missing.  Thank you.

David Jenkins

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:19 PM

Answers

• That's what I've been doing. 

I'm thinking I'm just selecting the wrong fields.  You'd think that the attribute class of "Software Files" or "Software Products" would contain the data.  It's looking like "Installed  Software" and "Installed Executable" seem to have data.

I guess I need a guide as to what each attribute class is for and what it does.

David Jenkins

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:23 PM

All replies

• Please provide the collection query that you used so far.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:15 PM
  • So this works:

select SMS_R_System.ResourceId, SMS_R_System.ResourceType, SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.SMSUniqueIdentifier, SMS_R_System.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup, SMS_R_System.Client from  SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ResourceId in (select SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceId from SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName = "Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.04.0300")

But, results are not always the same.  I change the version number and it doesn't match the reports.

select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID, SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType, SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier, SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.Name not in (select SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile on SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.FileName = "winword.exe" and SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.FileVersion >= "12.0")

This just simply fails.

David Jenkins

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:30 PM
  • I tried just doing something simple and that fails.

select SMS_R_System.Name from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct on SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct.ProductName like "%VPN%"

David Jenkins

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:34 PM
  • If I query the DB:

select * from v_GS_INSTALLED_SOFTWARE_CATEGORIZED

where ProductName0 like '%vpn%'

works just fine and lists everything.

David Jenkins

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:35 PM
  • I tried just doing something simple and that fails.

Why? I haven't tested your query, but it looks right at first sight. What's (not) working?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 8:48 AM
  • select SMS_R_System.ResourceId, SMS_R_System.ResourceType, SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.SMSUniqueIdentifier, SMS_R_System.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup, SMS_R_System.Client from  SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ResourceId in (select SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.ResourceId from SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS where SMS_G_System_ADD_REMOVE_PROGRAMS.DisplayName = "Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.04.0300")

Keep in mind that this query will only show you x86 software titles not x64.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:08 PM
  • select SMS_R_System.Name from  SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct on SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct.ResourceId = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_SoftwareProduct.ProductName like "%VPN%"

If this is for a collection, you need resourceid (and many a few other columns too, I use * generally) in the select part. I always recommend creating your queries in the query node and them importing them when you create your collections. This will make it simpler to troubleshoot the issues.  

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:12 PM
  • That's what I've been doing. 

I'm thinking I'm just selecting the wrong fields.  You'd think that the attribute class of "Software Files" or "Software Products" would contain the data.  It's looking like "Installed  Software" and "Installed Executable" seem to have data.

I guess I need a guide as to what each attribute class is for and what it does.

David Jenkins

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:23 PM
  • Looks like that is doing it.

The examples on the net just weren't working for me.  Not sure why but I'm getting it now I hope.  I'll probably cry about it later. :)

David Jenkins

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:26 PM