Virtual PC in Windows 8

Question

• Hi everybody,

Is there a way to play a Virtual PC Inside Windows 8 (open a new OS into a virtual machine).

The classic tool named "Virtual PC 2007 SP1" cannot be launch to play the VM...

So: How can I open my virtual machine on my Windows 8 OS? Or, must I convert my VHD disk to a VMDK file in order to open it from VMware?

I find very strange to have compatibility problem with Virtaul PC which is a Microsoft product...

Thanks in advance.

Visit my blog : http://rmatayron.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• In Windows 8 the application is Hyper-V.

To use Hyper-V your system and processor must have the required hardware features and these must be enabled in the motherboard BIOS. See http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-feature-focus-client-hyperv-142889.

Go to "Turn Windows features on or off" and check if you can enable Hyper-V.

Otherwise use VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/ or VMware Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player.

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 11:53 AM
  • Thanks for your response!

I have activated the feature Hyper-V this weekend but I have stop this idea because I wasn't able to import my existing Virtual PC...

I know for VMware (that Iwas using too)  but I have to convert my VHD disk to VMDK with the "VMware converter tool".

So form me, there is no simple way to launch an existing Virtual PC from Windows 8 actually...

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Can't you build a new vm and use your existing vhd? 
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 10:24 PM
  • Finally, I have convert my VHD file to a VMDK file (VMware format) with VMware COnverter.

I have tried to use Hyper-V first but for the moment this is not possible to use VM Player and HyperV together in the same machine...

So I convert my old Virtual PC machines to VMware virtual machines...

Friday, August 03, 2012 5:08 PM
  • But it's hard to beleive that MS won't provide a path from VirtualPc / XP Mode to they Hyper-V format used in Windows 8.  A lot of us made the  move to Windows 7 because we didn't have to let our existing xp only stuff go.  If this isn't possible it will take me a lot longer to make the move to 8.  I think we'll see an MS supported method for moving Virtual PC machines to Windows 8.
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Did you try and uninstall the VirtualPC tools before you connected the VHD to Hyper-V? I remembered needing to do this when Hyper-V first came out and we had to convert some demo systems.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:29 AM
  • FYI - I installed the latest version of VirtualBox on Windows 8 and it doesn't appear to work. It won't let me install Windows from ISO.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:43 AM
  • I have no problem installing Windows from an ISO on VirtualBox 4.2.0.

Check the settings on your VM.

Sunday, September 23, 2012 6:49 PM
  • I'm actually finding I can't move up to Windows 8 at the moment as a developer (which I'm quite shocked about).

- VM Ware costs quite a bit of money (to get snapshot support like the equivalent of the undo disk) and doesn't just run VHD's, they have to be converted.
    - Virtual Box has UUID issues still for hard drive files, and doesn't support drag drop of files into windows guests yet which is extremely annoying.
    - Can't install Hyper-V as it needs 'SLAT' support apparently. A Q6600 quad core processor can't run a virtual machine? pppffftt.

Very disappointed that Microsoft have done it like this. Fix Virtual PC 2007 please it was a great little bit of software.

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:18 AM
  • What UUID problems are you having with VirtualBox? Have you tried running something like the following:

C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManager.exe internalcommands sethduuid [PathToYourVdiFile]? That cleared up the problem I had with UUIDs.

I can cut and paste between Windows 8 and VirtualBox, but if you can't, have you tried the Shared Folders option? It is the last choice in the settings menu for my VM. It should allow you to share a folder between Windows 8 and your VM. Of course, if all else fails, in this day and age of SkyDrive and DropBox, its not hard to move files between machines, be they virtual or otherwise.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 3:49 AM
  • In Windows 8 the application is Hyper-V.

To use Hyper-V your system and processor must have the required hardware features and these must be enabled in the motherboard BIOS. See http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-feature-focus-client-hyperv-142889.

Go to "Turn Windows features on or off" and check if you can enable Hyper-V.

Otherwise use VirtualBox https://www.virtualbox.org/ or VMware Player http://www.vmware.com/products/player.

Is this serious? Are we forced to use VMWare software if our processors are not SLAT enabled?
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Is this serious? Are we forced to use VMWare software if our processors are not SLAT enabled?
    yes, or install the Server 2012 which works without SLAT.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Sunday, November 04, 2012 11:49 AM
    Answerer
  • I foolishly upgraded and now I need to run virtual for browser testing and am being extremely hampered by this I might have to downgrade. If this is the case and they are sticking to this may be the straw that breaks this camels back. I have to support older IE browsers because of corporate clients. not being able to test efficiently because of Microsoft's poor decisions in the past compounded by a poor decision now might just lose this long time Microsoft supporters support.
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:59 AM
  • Microsoft's virtualization with Virtual PC was based on a solution bought from Connectix, a poor relation of VMWare. This was only intended to allow users to run older versions of Windows.

If you need a serious virtualisation solution, look at VMWare Workstation. The free VMWare Player has many of the features of Workstation.

VirtualBox is a free and very capable solution.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 7:49 AM
  • I have the same problem too. My powerful 3.5 years old PC doesn't have SLAT inside. I can't run my Virtual PC 2007 machines on Windows 8, so I'm forced to stay in Windows 7 for ever (unless I get an option to migrate to other more clever software like VMware or VirtualBox).

So, Microsoft has disappointed me once again!! (as expected)

Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:00 PM
  • I haven't been able to successfully get an old vhd running on Windows 8. I enabled Hyper-V and I can't even connect to my local machine. Why did MS stop using virtual PC? Anyway, I think I have better luck with virtual box. If anyone has successfully been able to run an virtual pc image on Windows 8, please let me know or post the instructions on this forum. Thank you.  

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 6:45 AM
  • Virtual PC 2007 sp1 is able to run on Windows 8. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5GV_-ehWrs

You may run VPC2007 by special "loader" = IMHO original VPC.exe with modificated EXE Header.

You may rename original VirtualPC.exe to other name - for example vpc.exe. MS guys check compatibility of app by filename NOT by name in EXE header :)

But on my old HP NTB has VPC2007 weird compatibility issues. I tested VPC VM with Windows98. My NTB freeze after few second of running this VM.

VPC maybe running on your HW, may be running your VM. Try it :)

EDIT: running VPC.EXE in Compatibility mode (xp sp3) work fine. Worse performance than on other OSes, but VPC works.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Today I installed Virtual PC 2007 on my old Dell D830 Notebook without SLAT running Windows 8 Pro (64 bit), without any problems at all so far.
    It seems that all my problems before (BSOD) are related to an old vmm.sys in VirtualPC 2007 which is not compatible with Windows 2008. Replacing the driver with a new one resolved the problems and now it works fine without any compatibility settings.

For the new version, just intall The Windows Phone SDK 7.1 (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=27570) and Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1 Update (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=29233).

Thanks to Robert MacLean, who point me in the right direction.

http://sadev.co.za/content/installing-windows-phone-developer-tools-windows-8

• Proposed as answer by EPPM Wednesday, December 26, 2012 8:10 AM
    Monday, December 03, 2012 10:35 AM
  • Sorry for my poor English.
    Virtual Box Works Fine Now in Windows 8
    I'm a normal user of many OS
    I try many OS on my daughter's notebook ASUS G2pc (2007) (nothing to change in bios)
    It can run:
    Original system XP media center edition
    Windows 8 enterprise (90 days evaluation)
    Mac Os Snow Leopard 10.6.8 (iBoot from cd)
    Puppy Precise 4.5.2 (from usb)
    Some minutes ago I installed Virtual Box 4.2.2 in Windows 8
    It works fine using VHD of my old notebook XP system  (created VHD 1 year ago by disk2vhd)
    Reactivation Required ....OK
    In my opinion BIOS is not a problem, maybe it is a problem when it has many options to configure.
    I think that a "compatible CPU" is the best way to solve many problems.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Big thanks Ingo - I now have Virtual PC 2007 SP1 64 bit running quite happily on Windows 8 :)

So as a summary :

Install Virtual PC 2007. Rename Virtual PC.exe to vpc.exe or something (to get round the Windows 8 saying this isn't compatible dialog).

Install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 (will say that 2 parts of the install have failed on mine, but didn't matter)

Install the Windows Phone SDK 7.1.1.

On other machines (and this is the nice part as I won't have to install Windows Phone SDK again if I ever re-install) you can simply copy the compatible vmm.sys and keep it safe - then on subsequent machines simply copy the vmm.sys over the existing one AND REBOOT (back it up first) and Virtual PC 2007 just works :)

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:10 AM
  • I have tested the VirtualBox, but don't have a good performance, 3D aceleration works only on Windows XP and Linux guests, and have many crashes on Windows version.

On VMware Player not appear a virtual machine, appear with a remote connection on LAN, very good performance, and you can use virtual disk as ".vhd", don't need convert to .vmdk, only you need on window of choice of virtual disk file, select type "show all files" and select your .vhd file, this works, but this on VMware auto-select this as (SCSI) disk, if you need, you can change this by edit vm config file with text edit and chance (scsi0:0) to (ide0:0) and check this file delete other (ide0:0) contradicting, example (ide0:0.present = "FALSE") and (ide0:0.present = "TRUE") at the same time on file cause fail to open this VM.

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:33 AM
  • You could not use VPC 2007, right? The application will be HYPER V. Go to turn on features and Here you go! Otherwise, use VirtualBox from Oracle or VMware Player and Workstation. You could use DosBox.
    Saturday, February 23, 2013 10:28 PM
  • just for info - VMWare Workstation can without any problems open VHD images (the VHD extension is not in open dialog box listed, but it works) and VMWare handles with this file format much better than with own VMDK images...
    Friday, March 01, 2013 7:35 AM
  • Hi Ian,

These instructions helped  me get my VPC images working on my 64bit Win8 system.  Thanks!  My only problem came when I tried to move files from the host pc to the VPC.  When I installed VirtualMachinesAdditions from the ISO the reboot would not allow the mouse or keyboard to work.   This happened with both XP and Win7 VPC's.   How would recommend I get over this issue of moving files from the host to Virtual PC?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Cheers!

Daniel

Sunday, March 24, 2013 7:18 PM
  • For those that don't want to convert their personal PCs into servers, I installed Hyper-V Core i on Windows 7 using VMWare Player. Microsoft gives has a free download of Hyper-V Core ISO on their website. The binary is GRMHVxFRE1_DVD.ISO and it works with VMWARE. Once installed you can change the password and load up another Windows 2008 server so you can play with the GUI Hyper-V for all your servers. It works fine on a Dell OptiPlex 780 with VT enabled.  

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

• Edited by esteban2800 Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:29 PM grammar
    Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:28 PM