none
Extend virtual Hard Disk

Question

• I have virtual machine on windows server 2012 Hyper-V with 1 virtual hard disk and 2 partitions(C and D)

how i can extend C partition?

i tried to extend the virtual hard disk but when i login to virtual machine i found 3rd partition added to the disk 0 unallocated space.

is there any way to do that ?

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:58 AM

Answers

• Hi

you cant extend with this way because in that disk you have drive D . you can extend drive D but cant extend Drive C.

But the is trick for this work .

you add new vhd to this VM  and then copy all of content of Drive D to this new vhd .

after that you delete partition D and the extend your drive (if you didn't extend your disk yet) .

Now You have one Volume C and unallocated space .So you can extend yor drive C and then Create New volume and copy  your files  back .

See this pictures .

1)

2)

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi

you cant extend with this way because in that disk you have drive D . you can extend drive D but cant extend Drive C.

But the is trick for this work .

you add new vhd to this VM  and then copy all of content of Drive D to this new vhd .

after that you delete partition D and the extend your drive (if you didn't extend your disk yet) .

Now You have one Volume C and unallocated space .So you can extend yor drive C and then Create New volume and copy  your files  back .

See this pictures .

1)

2)

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:03 AM
  • Thanks for ur replay, i will test it and get back to u
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:12 AM
  • BTW - this is all about the OS and really has nothing to do with the machine being a VM.  Extend in the OS has not changed in years and years.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:23 PM
  • The problem is D partition is contain Lync installation files, so i cannot move these files to other partition. and i think this will not work for me.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:34 AM
  • The problem is D partition is contain Lync installation files, so i cannot move these files to other partition. and i think this will not work for me.

Thanks for your help.

there is trick buy i don't know this work or no ?

backup your drive D and delete it and after extend and create new partition D recover you drive .

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to do the above operation but it's not letting me do.

1) I added a new disk and moved all the contents of D drive to E.

2) when is try to delete or format the D drive it's not letting me do. The error it throws is "windows cannot format this drive.quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using the drive".

Attached the screenshot of the disk management screen.

Please let me know how to proceed on this

Thanks

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:39 PM