none
Extend virtual Hard Disk

Question

• I have virtual machine on windows server 2012 Hyper-V with 1 virtual hard disk and 2 partitions(C and D)

how i can extend C partition?

i tried to extend the virtual hard disk but when i login to virtual machine i found 3rd partition added to the disk 0 unallocated space.

is there any way to do that ?

Thanks,

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:58 AM

Answers

• Hi

you cant extend with this way because in that disk you have drive D . you can extend drive D but cant extend Drive C.

But the is trick for this work .

you add new vhd to this VM  and then copy all of content of Drive D to this new vhd .

after that you delete partition D and the extend your drive (if you didn't extend your disk yet) .

Now You have one Volume C and unallocated space .So you can extend yor drive C and then Create New volume and copy  your files  back .

See this pictures .

1)

2)

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi

you cant extend with this way because in that disk you have drive D . you can extend drive D but cant extend Drive C.

But the is trick for this work .

you add new vhd to this VM  and then copy all of content of Drive D to this new vhd .

after that you delete partition D and the extend your drive (if you didn't extend your disk yet) .

Now You have one Volume C and unallocated space .So you can extend yor drive C and then Create New volume and copy  your files  back .

See this pictures .

1)

2)

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:03 AM
  • Thanks for ur replay, i will test it and get back to u
    Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:12 AM
  • BTW - this is all about the OS and really has nothing to do with the machine being a VM.  Extend in the OS has not changed in years and years.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 3:23 PM
  • The problem is D partition is contain Lync installation files, so i cannot move these files to other partition. and i think this will not work for me.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:34 AM
  • The problem is D partition is contain Lync installation files, so i cannot move these files to other partition. and i think this will not work for me.

Thanks for your help.

there is trick buy i don't know this work or no ?

backup your drive D and delete it and after extend and create new partition D recover you drive .

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:06 AM