none
Change to NTLM using powershell

Question

• Is there a way to change the authentication method via poweshell ?

I have no access to the central admin right now it's saying page can not be displayed.

I switched to Kerberos to try things and it broke :(

Please help

Thanks

AJ MCTS: SP 2010 Configuration MCSA: Windows 7 If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer :) TY

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:06 PM

Answers

• Wow.... SO Finally fixed this. The fix ? Repair SharePoint under Control Panel -> Programs

But I'm pretty sure this will not work without Trevor's powershell commands.. I would like to give a big thanks to Trevor!

AJ MCTS: SP 2010 Configuration MCSA: Windows 7 If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer :) TY

• Marked as answer by itsAboutSp Friday, November 22, 2013 3:18 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 3:17 PM

All replies

• By default, Kerberos should fall back to NTLM if the site fails.

Open IIS manager, go to the central admin site, go into Authentication, switch back to NTLM

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:07 PM
  • It should but i've seen it fail to do so in 2013. I agree with your steps though.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:54 PM
  • You can run:

$wa = Get-SPWebApplication http://centralAdminUrl
    $values = $wa.IisSettings[0]
    $values.DisableKerberos = $true
    $wa.Update()

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:42 AM
  • @Scott. Tried that no luck still HTTP 404 not found
    @Alex it still failed even with Scott's advice
    @Trevor I did this to both the central admin and web app and still can't get to browse :(

Also I have a warm script just to see if it works.. it doesn't
    I get this error...

Exception calling "DownloadString" with "1" argument(s): "The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

When I do a Get-SPWebApplication I do see my web app listed though

I am so frustrated right now.. I changed the authentication via SharePoint CA and all these happened Please help

Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Can you provide a screen shot of what you're seeing? 

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Here you go

What I get when trying to login to Central Admin and Regular SP Site (404 error)

My warm up script

Even though I cant connect to the sites I was able to export-spweb just to make a backup..

Thanks in advance Trevor

• Edited by itsAboutSp Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:43 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:43 PM
  • A 404 like that would indicate that the site does not exist, rather than an issue with authentication.  For example, the site collection was never created, or the content database is no longer connected to the Web Application.

(Get-SPWebApplication http://webApp).Sites
    (Get-SPWebApplication http://webApp).ContentDatabases

That should indicate what sites belong to the web app and what content databases are attached to the web app.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:47 PM
  • A 404 like that would indicate that the site does not exist, rather than an issue with authentication.  For example, the site collection was never created, or the content database is no longer connected to the Web Application.

(Get-SPWebApplication http://webApp).Sites
    (Get-SPWebApplication http://webApp).ContentDatabases

That should indicate what sites belong to the web app and what content databases are attached to the web app.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Just ran your command. They are still connected and they exist

• Edited by itsAboutSp Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:58 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Great, so from that perspective it looks good.  Can you validate that the IIS Binding and Alternate Access Mapping match, and DNS resolves to the correct IP assigned to the IIS site.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Yes the IIS Bindings are all correct. DNS still resolves and pingable

Now you said "Alternate Mappings Match" don't I have to check that using SP Central Admin ?

But on powershell if I do get-spwebapplication it does show me the web app and proper name.

ALso get-spalternateurl shows me correct entries
    • Edited by itsAboutSp Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:41 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Hey everyone, any other suggestions ?

Friday, November 22, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Wow.... SO Finally fixed this. The fix ? Repair SharePoint under Control Panel -> Programs

But I'm pretty sure this will not work without Trevor's powershell commands.. I would like to give a big thanks to Trevor!

• Marked as answer by itsAboutSp Friday, November 22, 2013 3:18 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 3:17 PM