none
Can I use a Storage replicated database (EMC solution) which comes from a two SQL Server Server 2008 R2 Cluster node?

Question

• I have a geo cluster, two nodes running SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP1, using an EMC Storage Replication Solution (RecoveryPoint Cluster Enabler for the Consistency Group{SQL Resource Group} where SQL Runs ), this is working fine, the failover/failback works as expected. I also have a Stand Alone SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP1, which also have a replicated copy of the data which comes from the Cluster, using EMC Storage Replication (User Databases and Logs), can I mount this Databases in this Stand Alone SQL Server for a recovery point time (an image replicated in a specific point in time)?.  Thanks in advance for any comment...
    Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:40 AM

All replies

• Hi hefestos,

I’m not clear about your question:

can I mount this Databases in this Stand Alone SQL Server for a recovery point time (an image replicated in a specific point in time)?.

Could you provide more detail information about what you want to achieve? If you want to use a replicated database as a database backup to restore the database if there is any failure, I would like to suggest using the following backup methods.

Understanding Backup and Recovery Basics for a Failover Cluster
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771973.aspx

Back Up and Restore Replicated Databases
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151152.aspx

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Allen Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 30, 2013 6:33 AM
  • Hi Allen,

Thank you for your feed back.  This is the scenario: two node SQL Server cluster (see the version in the first post), node A and node B, each node is in a different site, this is a geo-cluster.  The SAN LUN are replicated using an EMC hardware replication solution, it is called RecoveryPoint, and for SQL Server cluster it is used another application called Cluster Enabler. This is working as expected.  There is another SQL Server, this in not a node, is a stand alone SQL Server, but the EMC solution, using RecoveryPoint, is also replicating the same LUN to this stand alone SQL Server, so we have the same databases and logs we have in the cluster, but I must show those database in a specific point in time to this stand alone server.  The question was, if I am able to mount those databases an use them for a testing environment or as a production in case I lost the Cluster.  At this time (that is why I said "the question was"), we were able to mount those hardware replicated databases and are using them without any issue, we have user databases and analysis databases in this stand alone SQL Server.  Thank you for your support, best regards.

Alexei, MCP.

Monday, September 30, 2013 2:02 PM