none
Autodiscover and load balancers

Question

• So we have Citrix load balancer that we would like to do SSL offloading,plus security for our one NYC Mail Server (No CAS array, but we have a DAG set up). It is set to proxy all RPC requests from load balancer -> Mailbox/CAS Server (all-in-one) . Now I would like all outlook clients to only hit the load balancer VIP not the server address. Clients can connect to autodiscover just fine, but how can I get autodiscover to give out the load balanced address to outlook clients and NOT the server address.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 8:40 PM

Answers

• Hi

Yes you are correct. I assume if you don't have a CAS Array configured (you should have) then the RpcClientAccessServer points to the host name of a server with the CAS role installed?  Creating a CAS array object and DNS entry is an easy way to fix this, but you will have to update the RpcClientAccessServer attribute on your databases and your internal Outlook clients will need to repair their profiles (or create new ones) to pick up this change.

Steve

• Marked as answer by jkmancuso Friday, August 30, 2013 3:28 AM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:19 PM

All replies

• Is a CAS Array the solution? (Yes, I'm running 2010 in the 2013 forum shhhhh!).

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/03/23/demystifying-the-cas-array-object-part-1.aspx

"The primary reason, and perhaps the only reason, a CAS array object exists is to automatically populate the RpcClientAccessServer attribute of any new Exchange 2010 mailbox database created in the same Active Directory site (as the CAS array object). The RpcClientAccessServer attribute is used to tell Outlook clients during the profile creation process what server name should be in the profile. "

Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I recommend you use the following command to change the AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri parameter , 

Set-ClientAccessServer -Identity "CASServer" -AutoDiscoverServiceInternalUri "https://VIP/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml"

the following aritcle for your reference:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125157(v=exchg.141).aspx

Thanks.

Regards, Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Already tried that, no luck.

What your statement above does is it tells outlook where to look for the autodiscover.xml file. However, the values in the xml file tell the outlook client where to point to for RPC Client Access which is still the server and not the VIP. I believe the "RpcClientAccessServer" value is responsible for this, yes? Can anyone chime in and see if I am correct?

Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:56 AM
  • Hi

Yes you are correct. I assume if you don't have a CAS Array configured (you should have) then the RpcClientAccessServer points to the host name of a server with the CAS role installed?  Creating a CAS array object and DNS entry is an easy way to fix this, but you will have to update the RpcClientAccessServer attribute on your databases and your internal Outlook clients will need to repair their profiles (or create new ones) to pick up this change.

Steve

• Marked as answer by jkmancuso Friday, August 30, 2013 3:28 AM
    Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:19 PM