none
Cant get MDT to deploy an image and complete the process

Question

• Hi,

I am using MDT 2012 on a server 2008R2 environment. I am using it to image Win7 Pro computers over the network.

Image fails on the computer with error displayed:

ZTI Error - Unhandled error returned by LTIApply: Invalid procedure call or argument (5)

Failed to run the action. Install Operating System. Access Denied ( Error: 00000005 Source: Windows)

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

Sean

• Edited by spadge1989 Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:13 PM

Answers

• I fixed it :P

Fault:

Was missing LTIBootsrap.vbs from the deployment share / scripts folder.

Solution:

Created new deployment share (only a temporary one) - went into the scripts folder of this share and copied the LTIBootstrap.vbs in my my deployment share.

Tried to image again and worked perfectly.

I found it by making the deployment copy its logs to the server while it is in process so i could see the logs as they are being created, much easier, and if you use config manager trace log tool it auto updates so you can see it produce the logs live :D.

Hopefully this helps others in the same situation as me.

Sean.

• Marked as answer by spadge1989 Friday, December 13, 2013 11:08 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 11:08 AM

All replies

• Sorry, I don't follow all of the errors above.

Is the problem an access denied, or a more generic error in the xml file itself? ALso note that when WISM tried to open the unattend.xml file it may also attempt to open the associated *.wim file, so check the permissions there as well.

Did you modify this unattend.xml file yourself, or did you use the default MDT unattend.xml file? If you used the default MDT template, and still have problems, then that would be weird, however, if you modified the file yourself, you are responsible to make sure it works. Be prepared to do some debugging.

IF you still have problems, can you copy the following files to a public share like skydrive, and share the link:
    bdd.log, smsts.log, c:\minint\unattend.xml, and the panther logs c:\windows\panther\...

-k

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 14, 2013 4:38 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

I didn't know if the errors were related or not, the unattend.xml and when I try to image a computer. That's why I listed both.

I have not edited the unattend.xml at all, I've left almost everything as default, however I was trying to get in as I have to edit it so the resolution is correct, as otherwise my entry in the rules would not work (according to online sources).

I did have this working on a previous image when I created this image it doesn't work anymore, the one for my win7Pro install OS works fine and I can get in that one, just not this one, and like I said when I try to image using this WIM it gets an error as above.

On my server I don't have c:\minint DIR.

I will try to get the logs, I am very new to MDT and only been working with it for one week so please explain things nice and simple for me :D

Many thanks

• Edited by spadge1989 Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:25 AM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:22 AM
  • LOG REMOVED: LINK PROVIDED AT BOTTOM
    • Edited by spadge1989 Friday, December 06, 2013 2:47 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:56 AM
  • LOG REMOVED: LINK PROVIDED AT BOTTOM

• Edited by spadge1989 Friday, December 06, 2013 2:47 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:11 AM
  • Can anyone help me on this matter?
    Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Sorry, I don't see any errors listed in the logs above, that's one reason I ask for the full BDD.log file. Frequently I find that people will cut/paste smaller sections of the bdd.log file that don't illustrate the root problem(s). :^(

There are two areas where LTIApply can fail horribly.

ImageX.Exe /apply <image> - If MDT can't lay down the image the process will fail. Check the BDD.log, hopefully you will see the errors there.

Dism.exe /Apply-Unattend - This is where MDT will take the c:\minint\unattend.xml file and apply it against the image now on the c:\ drive. If the file is not formatted properly, you will have a ton of problems. Check the dism.log file for the root cause.

Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Sorry i didn't include all of it because this forum wont let you post massive logs, and I can't upload the logs at work onto a file sharing site due to security reasons.

I have left the unattend file as default (for now). The only thing i have edited is the rules, so it skips some of the installation options, like which keyboard type etc.. which works fine. 

Is there a default unattend file somewhere as part of the install so i can compare mine for this image against it, so i can double check nothing has changed on it?

I have a copy of the log file on a works server so i will have a look through it when i get a chance. Anything in particular i am looking for?

I appreciate all the help you are giving me by the way.

Thanks again,

Sean

Friday, December 06, 2013 1:23 AM
  • Ok managed to get the files onto skydrive for you to look at, there is the bdd log, and the smsts log, the full logs are there.

http://sdrv.ms/1cpXPMO

its on skydrive.

Thanks sean

Friday, December 06, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Sorry, this is the wrong file.

MDT tries to save the BDD.log file to the local machine so you can view the entire process from start to finish. But hey, what happens to the local bdd.log file if and when you format the local hard disk? The log file on the local machine disappears. MDT does some tricks to ensure that the Log file(s) persists across these destructive actions, one trick is to use the Volatile ram Drive X: during destructive disk operations like ZTIDiskPart.WSF. When ZTIDiskPart.wsf is complete, it copies the log files back over to the local non-volatile disk.

What you see in the logs attached is the bdd.log file up to the ZTIDiskPart.wsf phase, but not after. This suggests that you retrieved the log file from x:\minint\smsosd\osdlogs rather than c:\minint\smsosd\osdlogs.

Please try again, this time get the c:\minint\smsosd\osdlog\bdd.log file.

Thanks

Friday, December 06, 2013 5:40 PM
  • I have the commad prompt open on the client machine, it defaults to the x drive, however i try to navigate to the c drive and it cant find the log c:\minint\smsosd\osdlog\bdd.log as it says it doesnt exist, i cant even CD to the c drive, just goes straight back to the x drive.

I can reboot the machine log into windows and find a log in %windir%\TEMP\DeploymentLogs\bdd.log if this is sufficient, however i dont know if this log would have changed or if this log will be ok for me to post?

Thanks,

Sean

Monday, December 09, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Ha. You're trying to mess with me, aren't you? :^)

Drive letters are not persistent when booting from WinPE. The main Hard Disk partition may be c:\, then again it may not, it may be d:\ or e:\  Are you saying that the file did not exist on any of the local hard disk partitions, or are you saying that you could not find any local hard disk partitions? Unless they are encrypted, or they have been deleted, the partitions are still there from the last failed run.

My recommendation is to start a full installation process again from scratch. When it fails, then the local hard disk partition should still be c:\ and you should find the files there.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:33 AM
  • An error in the smsts.log says:

Failed to run the action. Install Operating System. Access Denied ( Error: 00000005 Source: Windows)

Dont know if this is the core issue?

Sean

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 11:42 AM
  • I have also noticed that i do not have LTIBootstrap.vbs in my deploymentshare/scripts folder would this be causing the issue?

Thanks,

Sean

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:41 PM
  • I fixed it :P

Fault:

Was missing LTIBootsrap.vbs from the deployment share / scripts folder.

Solution:

Created new deployment share (only a temporary one) - went into the scripts folder of this share and copied the LTIBootstrap.vbs in my my deployment share.

Tried to image again and worked perfectly.

I found it by making the deployment copy its logs to the server while it is in process so i could see the logs as they are being created, much easier, and if you use config manager trace log tool it auto updates so you can see it produce the logs live :D.

Hopefully this helps others in the same situation as me.

Sean.

• Marked as answer by spadge1989 Friday, December 13, 2013 11:08 AM
    Friday, December 13, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Spadge1989, you finally got my MDT deployment moving in a forward direction.

Cheers

Jayne

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 9:28 PM