none
App-V 4.6 SP2 : trouble when launching an application through a virtualized app

Question

• Hi,

I virtualized several applications with appv 4.6 sp2. Unfortunately, when users try to open a .pdf or .doc through a link in the virtualized app, acrobat reader open but stay at the language box. If the user answer at the language box, acrobat reader stay blank without opening the document. I have the same issue with .doc and .xls.

Mau you have any idea to resolve this issue?

Thank you for your anwser.

David

Thursday, July 31, 2014 12:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

one of the main features and - in your case - limitations of application virtualization is 'isolation'. Ther is usually not much you can do about it.

At least with App-V 4 there is potentially no way to overcome this limitation. If you only have a few applications and you determine that they store the files temporarily under a certain location (like a temp folder) you could try to exclude that folder from the package.

You *could* try to re-assign the file type during sequencing, so that the application is actively called from within the VE, but I'm not sure if that works (have Office and Acrobat installed on the sequencer machine; during sequencing, change the 'Open with' program for PDF and DOC(X) to something else, then change it back to AdobeReader/Word, make it the 'default' application: In that case the doc-type is assigned inside the VE, so there is a (small) chance that the final application is called from within the VE and thus 'pulled into' it.

App-V 5 should be more relaxed on that.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by dlanv Friday, August 01, 2014 12:53 PM
    Friday, August 01, 2014 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

what do you mean with 'when users try to open a .pdf or .doc through a link in the virtualized app'? That your user has _another_ virtual application and tries to open a doc/pdf from there (let's asume a Web Browser here)?

This often happens when the document is (temporarily) stored inside the 'original' virtual application environment (Web Browser). It then tells AdobeReader/word: Hey, could you pleas open the document in <somewhere> for me? - But Adobe can't reach that file because it is in another VE.

Anyway Process Monitor should show you where the document is expected.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Thursday, July 31, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Hi Falko,

Thank you for your answer.

More precisely, adobe acrobat reader X and office 2003 are not virtualized. They are included into our master. Exactly it 's always the same case, the applications called by the virtualized app is consequently executed in Virtual Environment and didn't find the final document.

I can investigate with process monitor to find where the application executed in VE try to find the document, but i can't modify the code of the link to the final document in the application. Do you know a way in the OSD, to modify this comportment?

Thank you

David

• Edited by dlanv Friday, August 01, 2014 8:31 AM
    Friday, August 01, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Hi,

one of the main features and - in your case - limitations of application virtualization is 'isolation'. Ther is usually not much you can do about it.

At least with App-V 4 there is potentially no way to overcome this limitation. If you only have a few applications and you determine that they store the files temporarily under a certain location (like a temp folder) you could try to exclude that folder from the package.

You *could* try to re-assign the file type during sequencing, so that the application is actively called from within the VE, but I'm not sure if that works (have Office and Acrobat installed on the sequencer machine; during sequencing, change the 'Open with' program for PDF and DOC(X) to something else, then change it back to AdobeReader/Word, make it the 'default' application: In that case the doc-type is assigned inside the VE, so there is a (small) chance that the final application is called from within the VE and thus 'pulled into' it.

App-V 5 should be more relaxed on that.

Falko

• Marked as answer by dlanv Friday, August 01, 2014 12:53 PM
    Friday, August 01, 2014 11:33 AM