none
Windows Server 2008 R2 Backup (WSB console) - how to reset storage locations/volumes?

Question

• Hello!

Recently I did changes to OS partition (expanded it after adding more drives to RAID), now the Windows Server Backup (on WS2008R2 SP1) fails, so I figured, no biggie, just modify the Backup settings and verify source and destination properties ... well, here I had a puzzled moment, because WSB tool said I cannot store backups on data volume, because it's already used for backups (?), the tool is able to see all contents including the last few failed backups, but it doesn't allow me to reset it nor to remove the backup target storage from that volume.

I figured, oh well, let's just rename the storage location folder called WindowsServerBackup by adding .OLD extension to it and start a new one. hmmm ... that failed however too, because WSB still says the data volume is already assigned as target storage location and I can't use it for another one.

For time being I use NAS to store single instance of System State backup of that server, but I would like to know how the hell one is supposed to reset the Windows Server Backup to default state? That tool in WS2008R2 is so incredibly limited that I can't believe there is no options in console to reset the storage locations or remove current backups in order to start a new one on same target volume ...

any help please?

Monday, February 03, 2014 7:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, no, you can't use Windows Backup Server service to backup or restore to a volume that is targetted by the wbadmin itselft. Like backuping the C: on the C:, or Restore the C: with an image on the C:.

WBAdmin work good with USB disk, as "entire" system backup usually does not take USB disk. Copy the folder on a usb disk and start the wizard from there would be my tip. And of course that will allow you to take the backup offsite, not laying on the raid disk

Regards, Philippe

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 2:11 AM
  • Hi, no, you can't use Windows Backup Server service to backup or restore to a volume that is targetted by the wbadmin itselft. Like backuping the C: on the C:, or Restore the C: with an image on the C:.

WBAdmin work good with USB disk, as "entire" system backup usually does not take USB disk. Copy the folder on a usb disk and start the wizard from there would be my tip. And of course that will allow you to take the backup offsite, not laying on the raid disk

Regards, Philippe

no, that's not what I mean.

I have following partitions:

C: - OS

D: - Data

E: - AD stuff

Formerly the WBS was scheduled to run daily the System State backup and save it to a volume D: (it created folder WindowsServerBackup for that purpose).

Now it stopped working afew days ago (fails saying that I have no available local volume targets anymore), I believe after I expanded the OS volume (added more drives to that RAID).

The thing is that I do NOT and never did include D: in backup, just the System State was included ... I manually removed WindowsServerBackup folder from that volume (moved it to NAS) and if I select SS and AD partition (E: volume) then it still says that D: is not available as destination/target ... why? and how do I reset it, in registry perhaps?

As far as I know the system state shouldn't have anything to do with folders I keep on D: volume ... or does it ... I added WDS recently and created its deployment share on D: volume ... does System State backup include WDS???

• Edited by fenixus Tuesday, February 04, 2014 2:28 AM
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 2:23 AM
  • dang, this is the WDS causing it!

proof below, didn't know that WDS is included in SS backup, that's why WSB can't write to same volume as the WDS uses for deployment share ...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/e09cb9a5-5d10-44ba-bec9-d5e3875024f6/system-state-backup-of-ad-server-with-wds-role?forum=windowsbackup&prof=required

removing the WDS role from our DC box ... probably was a bad idea to put it on it in first place, but needed to test something out, oh well, live and learn LOL!

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 3:08 AM