none
Uncluster SQL Server

Question

• Hi,

We have recently decided to uncluster our 2-node active/passive SQL cluster with the intention of then virtualising the remaining single node.

After some research it seems I have 2 options:

1. Convert two node SQL cluster to standalone instance of SQL
    2. Retire one node of cluster or convert two node SQL cluster to single node SQL cluster

What exactly is the difference here?

Surely option 2 is the easier, so what benefit is there of actually performing option 1 instead.

It I simply evict the passive node, I can still operate as a 1-node cluster...in this case, can I then simply virtualise the disks on the active node (including the quorum, SAN attached disks).

Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:45 AM

Answers

• Correct option would be to first evict one node of the cluster then dont leave other node as it is.Now what about the underlying OS .If your SQL Server was in cluster you must be using two nodes and since you are thinking of moving to standalone what is need of having windows cluster.IMO you should remove that also.Then take any one of the boxes install SQL Server as standalone and move

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

Saturday, February 22, 2014 9:43 AM