none
Management Studio can't find any database

Question

• I have an annoying problem: I installed SQL Server 2008 Express on a Windows SP1, which went fine.

I then Installed SQL Serfver Management Studio 2008 Express; during the installation it complained about a compatibility issue and offered to install a service pack for SQL Server. I clicked OK, and messed it up somehow - it didn't finish, but I was able to continue installing the Management Studio.

When I started Management Studio, I couldn't find any database, so I tried to download the service pack separately and install it - this went well, but Mgmt studio still can't find any database. There seems to be no of uninstalling and reinstalling it, short of reinstalling everything.

What makes it extra frustrating is that I have just done it on an XP system - not a single problem. What is wrong here?

Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:18 PM

Answers

• Hi everybody,

It turned out to be quite simple - I'm just not familiar with SQL Server. When I installed on XP, Management Studio automaticall discovered the server instance; so when it didn't on Windows 7, I assumed there was a problem. However, I noticed that on XP the instance name was shown as '[computer name]\[instance name]', so I tried that - and it worked!

Problem solved

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:34 AM

All replies

• Can't find any "database"? In a new installation there are no user database, only system databases.

Or can't "find" a SQL Server? If so, which error message do you get when try to logon? Have you check if the SQL Server service is running?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, November 10, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Hi,
    try: Control Panel--Services--SQL Server(MSSQLSERVER)--set up Status Started.
    Best wishes,
    Anna

Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:05 PM
  • SQL Server 2008 Express on a Windows SP1--->What is the OS version?

Looks like you can open the SQL Server Management Studio.

1. What do you see as soon as you click on SQL Server Management Studio in All Programs shortcut. Attach a screen shot if possible.

As others suggested you should find the four system databases.

Do you see SQL Server Service in Control Panel | ...|Services as shown.

mysorian

You shoudl find atleast one server. Screen shot has three.
    Monday, November 11, 2013 3:29 AM
  • Hi ,

According to your description, when you install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) 2008 Express, it encounter the compatibility issue. We need to verify if the SQL Server is installing on Windows 7 or  Windows Server 2008 R2. If yes, you must apply SQL Server 2008 Service Pack1 or later. In addition,.NET Framework 3.1 (Service pack 1),Windows Installer 4.5 or later and Windows Powershell 1.0 or later are the requirements for  installing SSMS. We need to verify if you have install SSMS successfully via checking  the setup message.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log\<YYYYMMDD_HHMM>\Detail.txt

There is a similar issue about compatibility, you can review the article.
    http://goneale.com/2009/05/24/cant-install-microsoft-sql-server-2008-management-studio-express/

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Your Name
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:15 AM
  • Hi everybody,

It turned out to be quite simple - I'm just not familiar with SQL Server. When I installed on XP, Management Studio automaticall discovered the server instance; so when it didn't on Windows 7, I assumed there was a problem. However, I noticed that on XP the instance name was shown as '[computer name]\[instance name]', so I tried that - and it worked!

Problem solved

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:34 AM